my computer is screwed up. PLZ HELP!!!

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by JDean, Jan 12, 2004.

1. JDean

JDean New Member

My Computer:
    AMD Athlon 2100+ XP
    Abit KX7-333
    Sound Blaster Live 256 PCI
    512 MB PC-2700 DDR
    80GB Seagate 7200RPM
    MSI GeForce4 Ti4200

The Problem:
    As of right now, the computer will only load my Windows XP Pro when i use either Fail-Safe or Optimized Defaults from the BIOS which sets the cpu as 1500+ (1.30ghz) (lowest value).
    When i try to select any other value 1600+ to 2200+, the progress of loading Windows becomes very erratic, at times it restarts right after the IRQs display screen while at other times it can reach the Windows login screen, but i have yet able to load my desktop.
    Also, with fail-safe or optimized defaults loaded, everything seems to work fine except when i try to play any video file, the computer will completely freeze up (must hit reset button), same goes when trying to run a game.

Situation Prior:
    I have had this computer for more than a year and a half without any problems. All this happened after i decided to clean my desk and computer of dust. The computer was turned off and i used my vacuum with the thin plastic attachment to suck up the dust. I did remove the heatsink and fan from the cpu but after cleaning, it was placed back properly.

Things I've Done Since:
    After solving the initial problem of not being able to boot into windows at all, i have reseated both soundcard and video card. I have also reflashed my BIOS to its newest version, completed without any problems.

Thanks for reading this and if you have any ideas or suggestions on how i can have my cpu run at its intended speed of 2100+ (1.73ghz) and play video files without freezing the system, it is greatly appreciated!

2. MP

MP New Member

is it overheating?

3. JDean

JDean New Member

no, ive checked the pc health in BIOS and its around high 50's Celsius, normal for AMD