My computer is really noisy!

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Shampoo, Nov 11, 2004.

1. Shampoo

Shampoo Rinse & Repost

It sounds like a fucking aircraft. I obviously have to replace the cheap fans with quieter ones. (a total of 3 fans to be replaced)

What would you guys recommend?

2. Super(man)

Super(man) New Member

Buy a new one? :dunno:

3. Jeff Merr

Jeff Merr Elite Member

Im having a noise problem with my fans on my computer i just built. The fans themselves are not loud, but because they are screwed in against the case fan spot, its loud from sucking all the air in. I saw a product that was a Fan Noise reducer, and it was just a spacer type plastic peice that you put inbetween the fan and the case, giving it a little room. I wanted to get it but it was 20 dollars, and i dont think its worth that much for a couple plastic spacers. Does anyone know of this type of thing for cheaper?

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

zalman fans are pretty quiet. Also get a "quiet" case, like the antec sonata, or Lian Li 6070. I've built several systems for customers that required "silent" systems and the trick is:

use a good case, like the lian li, or a Silverstone. Then use quiet fans with thermal control. Then use noise reduction padding when appropriate. Also use a quiet CPU heatsink, like the Zalman CNPS7000A.

5. ccrooks

ccrooks New Member

i have a similar problem... but I only have 1 fan (processor) + the one on the power source... I'm pretty sure it's just my case causing it to be noisy

6. Jeff Merr

Jeff Merr Elite Member

i did some research and found out that the reason its noisy is because my case fan is sucking air through a bunch of little holes, and thats why its making the loud noises. Looks like its time to break out the Dremmel

7. Shampoo

Shampoo Rinse & Repost

I tried figuring out how loud the fans were on mine, turns out they weren't the major problem. My harddrive is pretty old and really taking up most of the noise. :hs: Gotta ghost my operating system to a new disc now then replace the fans.

8. thoughtshewas18

thoughtshewas18 OT Supporter

Different cases and sizes make a difference... Specially CPU fans those make the most noise.. You can find quiet ones out there thout that help allot... Cept for mine I also have 7 more fans in my case :)

9. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

i've got 9 fans, and mine is quiet :shrugs:

it's all about the fanbus and thermisters :)