My computer is killing hard drives! Ideas?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Lusankya, Aug 1, 2004.

1. Lusankya

Lusankya Just try and eat me, bitch.

Long read, sorry, but I also need to rant about this piece of shit.

Ok, so I've personally never heard of a computer fragging HDs before, but my old Deskpro EN 550 seems to enjoy breaking my stuff. About two months ago the old 10Gb factory standard HD gave up. No warning, not even an imminent failure warning from the SMART chip. No big deal, I figured that the HD was pretty close to the end of its service life, and I needed to upgrade anyway. A trip to the store yields a Maxtor DiamondMax 120Gb (repackaged as a Cicero :mamoru: ), which ran fine after some fighting with the BIOS. Two weeks ago, the same problem pops up. HD locks up, makes funny noises, deletes all the FAT tables, leaving me with an unpartitioned and bitchy paperweight. I pop in a replacement 12Gb I use when I repair other computers, and now yesterday that one died too. Three HDs in 2 months isn't coincidence. I'm fed up with this, and once I get the Maxtor back on an RMA, I'm just going to go buy a new mobo, processor, chassis, pretty much a new system. I'd like to set the old Deskpro up as a box I can just run Apache and an FTP server on for getting at less important files, but I'm unwilling to drop in a fourth drive without an explination of what's going on.

Any ideas?

Cliff Notes: 3 hard drives die to the same computer in 2 months. Anyone hear of a comp killing HDs?

2. maczter

maczter Life is trying things to see if they work.

Maybe your power supply is going south.

3. Lusankya

Lusankya Just try and eat me, bitch.

I doubt it, the PS was replaced about 4 months ago, and the drives are permanently damaged and can't be used in any computer. If the supply was dying it should surge every so often, but I've never heard the fans pulse.

I'll try swapping it out for one I know for sure to be reliable, but I'm not hopeful.

4. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Power supply is the most likely source. It's pretty hard to completely kill a IDE drive except through the power bus. You say the PS is 4 months old, and this problem started 2 months ago. Seems like that is the last thing that changed... If your bios supports it, you might want to monitor the 12V and see if it outside spec.

edit: what kind and how much was the new PS.

5. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

ive had a 120gb cicero drive die on me last month. it just died.

i was able to do a recover with it. It was only 2 months old. Im just guessing they had a bad batch. I now run 2 of them... one for backup, one as main