My computer is going crazy---Help!

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Sandman, Jan 5, 2007.

1. Sandman

Sandman New Member

I was using DVD Shrink earlier today to compress a DVD onto my computer to fit onto a DVD-R like I've done hundreds of times in the past, and today it caused my computer to crash twice. Its using up 100% of my CPU for some reason, and my computer then shuts itself down. My computer is only a little over 3 years old, which I know is old for a computer, but it was good when I built it. I don't have it set to shut down when the CPU overheats so I know it isn't that. So what I'm asking is can anyone tell me what's wrong with my computer or can someone recommend software similar to DVD Shrink that won't take up as much CPU.

I have a 3.2 GHz processor and 1Gb of ram if that helps. I reformatted recently cause it was doing this frequently when I did medium to large tasks. I don't think it's the fans, I haven't unhooked any. I hope it isn't a hardware problem, but I am planning on opening it up this weekend and taking a look. Any theories/suggestions? (Other than getting a new computer, cause right now I can't afford one)

2. mw818

mw818 New Member

what programs are open when youre ripping/burning?

try reinstall

3. Sandman

Sandman New Member

None, and I just installed it. It's very odd. Ctrl+Alt+Del says that all 100% is being used by DVD Shrink. When I go into the BIOS and check the temp it says my CPU is 170+. It's gone up to 190 at one point. I have 2 fans running so I'm confused why it's getting so hot as soon as I turn it on. I don't really want to spend the $40 to get it looked at when I can probably fix it myself. Weird thing is, it doesnt seem hot to the touch at all. In fact it seems cool. It's very strange.

4. Sandman

Sandman New Member

Could it be my mobo maybe? When I reformatted I may have incorrectly installed the drives (My mobo doesn't get along too well with the OS, I have to manually install each drive). I'm kind of a noob at all this so bear with me. I don't think that would affect it, I'm just throwing every possible explanation out there. It's reaching 100% very easily actually. I used to be able to burn using DVD Shrink, surf the internet and listen to music simultaneously w/o any problems (CPU Usage was never 100%), and now this. It's very frustrating.

5. AVengeance

AVengeance Active Member

sounds like new security on some of the DVDs. Invalid directory structure may be causing it. This has happened to me, too, and I had to get AnyDVD to deal with the problem. Now DVD Shrink works like a charm again.

6. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

:werd:

It probably depends on what you were backing up.

7. Sandman

Sandman New Member

That might be it. I did notice that it shut down at the exact same spot every time after reading that.

8. Sandman

Sandman New Member

Yeah, that didn't work. Must be hardware issue. I guess I'll have to pay to get it looked at if I can't see anything wrong with it tonight. I just don't understand why the CPU heats up so high. It starts at room temperature obviously, and in about 5 minutes its up to almost 200 degrees. I have the CPU fan and the back fan running. I have a chassis fan plugged in and running but for some reason the computer doesnt recognize it. I don't know, I'll check it out tonight and if I get nothing I'll have to take it somewhere to get looked at.