My computer is fucked v.virus

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by ItsStockOfficer, Apr 30, 2008.

1. ItsStockOfficer

ItsStockOfficer Active Member

Ok, I seem to have somehow contracted win32 in the process of letting my g/f use computer.

http://www.file.net/process/win32.exe.html

I have never used or ran virus scanning software and never had an issue, but now that I do, I am not sure where to begin? If there any freeware that can take care of this? I searched for and deleted the .exe, but have no idea how many subfiles exists, etc.

second, delete key is broken on my laptop. Is there a way to open the task manager without it?

2. aim2kill

aim2kill New Member

gf using computer = fail.

if your anti-virus caught it, it should have quarentined or deleted it, if so, then re-scan you should be fine.

worst case scenario, format/reload

edit: ctrl+alt+delete, right click on the bar at the bottom (not start, but in the middle)

3. dissonance

dissonance reset OT Supporter

Since you never had anti-virus software, you probably have had some virus and just didn't notice. For anti-virus get AVG or Avast, both have a free version that works good.

You should always have AV and firewall software running, even if the firewall is just Windows firewall. Also, check out Spybot and/or Ad-Aware for mal-ware scanning. Both free as well.

As for the task manager, I'm sure you can find the .exe for it somewhere in the windows folder. I have never looked for it so not sure the direct link.

4. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

There's no such thing as the "win32" virus, unless you believe the Linux/Apple dorks who say that Windows is a virus. "win32" is the class of viruses that can infect a 32-bit version of Windows.

Go here and download Stinger on another computer, and put it on a floppy disk or CD-R. Run it in Safe Mode on the infected computer. Turn on all the options, except the one where it just pretends to scan but doesn't remove anything. That's a good start.

Once you're done with that, go here to download the Sygate Personal Firewall; yes, Windows XP already has a firewall, but the benefit of this one is that most viruses won't know how to poke holes in it to let themselves spread, or download even more viruses.

Reboot and pay very close attention to the messages the firewall shows you -- allow only just enough traffic to be able to go online and download AVG antivirus and AdAware. Install and update both, allowing traffic to pass through the firewall only as necessary, then run AVG first and AdAware second.

Feel free to remove Sygate Personal Firewall after you've unfucked your computer (if you're successful, anyway), but it won't hurt anything to leave it installed, either.

5. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Yeah, don't make it sound like reformatting and reloading is a piece of cake. He'll have to reinstall all his shit manually, and probably lose/forget a bunch of documents and settings along the way. Better to fix if possible.

6. Chris

Chris New Member