My computer Icon in Linux :wtc:

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Shaggy007, Sep 11, 2004.

1. Shaggy007

Shaggy007 New Member

I did an install of suse today, and I have to say, I was massivley pleased by the supported hardware that it had available. I was able to tell it what hardware I had and how I wanted things running pretty easily. The when it finally boots up and I tell it to start an X session I was appauled to find a "My Computer" icon on the desktop. I thought well this couldn't be right, it has to be sometype of system configurator. like a shortcut to the yast that I heard about. Nope it's just like a windows my computer icon.

I know the community is trying to make it easier for people to switch to linux and this is one way of doing it but, that doesn't mean they have to go down to that level. Sometimes it just looks like they're worring more about making things easier to switch and not about creating their own path and innovating. I don't know maybe I'm just blowing this out of proportion but to me this is just a step down for the distro. Yast though is a very well build package manager, but the My Computer icon default just makes me feel dirty.

2. Guardfather

Guardfather The Paradox

We need some distros to do things like this. If there's no bridge between Windows and Linux, many people will not cross that river. The more people that cross the river, the more power linux has. Thereby increasing potential for innovation. :) At least that's my opinion on the issue.

3. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

They want to make it easy for people to use, nothing wrong with that, that's why people use Windows, it's easy. You can always just get rid of that icon if you don't like having it there :dunno:

Also, it's probably just KDE that has the "My Computer" icon. I've done many a SuSE install and never seen it since I use Gnome :dunno:

4. Shaggy007

Shaggy007 New Member

I just worry that it will get to a point that the two wont be differentiable because the distros got so focused on people coming over that they just add stuff to make it easier for people. The reason I started using linux in the first place so long ago was because it was different.

Oh and I never liked gnome so can't really say anything about it, but I've worked with kde a lot on different distros and this is the first time i've ever seen that.

5. Guardfather

Guardfather The Paradox

I hope it doesn't come to that. I doubt it will. People will always make their own distro without that stuff if it does look like it might come that way.

6. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

See, this is an example of how even though distributors attempt to make Linux more Windowsesque, it'll never become as bad as Windows. We have a huge range of choices for desktop environments, from something incredibly simple and lightweight such as FVWM or XFCE to something comprehensive and bloated like KDE or Gnome. Our desktop environments are endlessly modifiable so everyone can have what they want.