My computer has AIDS..

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by redna, Jan 10, 2006.

1. redna

redna New Member

I ran a scan this morning and AVG picked up a Trojan Horse but before i could see what it was or even the name of it my computer shut off... When i rebooted, i booted in safe mode and ran AVG again. It did the same thing. It seems as though every time it hits the Trojan Horse it kills power to my computer.

What the hell... how do i deal with this?

2. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

format c:

3. redna

redna New Member

I can still run everything fine and it boots up fine, I've got access to all of my info/pics/programs/etc. Could I take everything i need off my computer drive and store it on my external drive, then format... and would everything be okay (as in uninfected)?

The only time it shuts off is when the virus scanner tries to access it

4. rsxm5

rsxm5 OT Supporter

Go housecall.antivirus.com and try running their online virus scan. It might not be able to remove it, but chances are you could probably find out which file is causing.

5. redna

redna New Member

Its called Trojan Horse Generic.KG and is located in C:\backups\backup-20050531-152640-385.dll

6. kYd

kYd New Member

Just delete the file it's not as if you need it if it's a backup from mid 05

7. nobody

nobody New Member

but to answer your question, yes - if you backup everything you need and then reformat and reinstall whatever OS you're using, then your computer will be fine.

8. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Plug the hard drive into another computer running antivirus auto-protect software, and scan the drive that way. The virus won't be able to run in the other computer, because the other computer won't have the sneaky instructions telling it to load the virus when it starts. Then you can scan it and delete the virus.