My computer died...please help!

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Pip, Feb 24, 2004.

1. Pip

Pip Guest

I came home today to find my computer was off. When I tried turning it back on nothing happened. I checked to make sure the outlet and cord were working and they were. Next I took out the PSU and opened it up and a couple things were melted (sorry no pics, no dig cam). So I went and got a new PSU, hooked it up, and still nothing :wtc: . Now I'm scared.

This computer is about 4 years old, and I was planning to build a new computer this summer and I'd rather wait till then if possible. Any ideas on what it could be or how to further investigate? I don't have a working computer at home anymore so I'll check this thread periodically while I'm at school. Please help!

2. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

New power supply spins up? If not, its an electrical issue with the power supply and the outlet.

If it does spin up, is the power supply properly connected to the motherboard? If not, reconnect.

If it is connected to the motherboard, do you get any beeping? If not, try removing the memory and/or CPU. Does it beep? If not, the motherboard may be hosed. Pull out the CPU and/or memory (which ever you didn't pull out the first time). Does it beep? If not, you have a motherboard problem. If it does beep, then thats good - plug stuff back in until it stops beeping or starts booting up.

3. Pip

Pip Guest

New PSU spun up but no action from anything, so I pulled the CPU and reinstalled it and tried again, and it hesitated and finally booted. I have no idea why this worked, but thankfully it did. I need to work on a new computer quick.

4. MP

MP New Member

edit: n/m didn't read your second post