My computer can run better than this! What do I do to fix it?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Valinir, Feb 3, 2003.

1. Valinir

Valinir Guest

Currently I'm running on a AMD Athlon Processor, 1.2 mhz, 384 mb ram with a 62mb DDR Ati Raedon 6000 video card. Using Windows 98.

When playing Battlefield 1942, it can get really choppy when only like 10 people are moving on screen, even worse when more people come up into view - the video options are even set to low also. My specs far exceed the minimum requirements, and even exceed the *recommended* requirements (save for the Video Card, which matches the recommended reqs).

So anyway, I know that this computer isn't acting up to it's full potential, and I know I have a TON of junk on my computer, and I mean A TON. And I've come here begging for help; how can I clean up my computer? How can I get it to run better? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

By the way, I am pretty computer illiterate, so if you do have an idea - try to explain how to do it to me, since I probably won't really know what you're talking about ;)

CLIFF NOTES: My computer isn't running as good as it should be, how can I increase it's performance?
  2. JazzHound

JazzHound Guest

Your system specs can handle windows xp rather well so I might suggest you upgrade to that. I use to play BF1942, at the time my system was 1800XP (1.53ghz) and 512MB DRR, gf4 128MB and even then I had experienced some bad performance issues. It was also a common thing for others with system that dwarfs mine to experience it too which lead to some talk about BF1942 not running well on certain setups. There is a thread about a patch beign released. Try to patch it and see if it helps, otherwise do a fresh install of the OS or upgrade to XP.
  3. Tersio

Tersio Guest