My comp is acting weird

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by VenusGirlTrap, Nov 20, 2003.

1. When I'm using it the mouse will stall for a few seconds or I will type and the typing will show up very slowly. Also, when I play CD's in Windows Media Player they skip, even if the CD doesn't skip in my walkman. I just downloaded and started using spybot, could that have anything to do with it?

Any other things it could be?

Thanks

2. skooter

skooter Guest

specs on computer?

sounds like you have alot of things running in the background, more than what your computer can handle.

3. 1ghz, Windows ME, 256MB ram. I defrag regularly and I ran that spybot to get rid of ads and stuff. When I press ctl alt dlt there are only 8 items running. Another problem that I'm having is that I've gone to msconfig 3-4 times and tryed to disable my kodak software and msn messenger from running at startup but everytime I reboot they start up.

4. Oh...also, the clock won't keep the right time.

5. skooter

skooter Guest

reformat... put 2000 or above on, it will save you alot of headaches.

6. I don't have those, but I think I'm going to end up reformating with ME this weekend.

7. BBB

BBB OT Supporter

windows ME, is shitty. Changing that alone will make your computer 2x better. Win ME < dos, 95, 98, 98SE, 2000, xp home, xp pro

8. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

What you described sounds like the processor and/or motherboard is getting backed up (I'm leaning towards processor). Whats causing it to get backed up is the trick. Two ideas:

1. Heat. Depending on the processor, some will idle the clock speed so it doesn't burn itself out. Check and make sure the CPU fan is still spinning and its 100% free of dust, dirt, small children, etc.

2. A misbehaving application. Something is chewing up your CPU cycles or is causing a bottleneck. CTRL-ALT-DEL and kill all processes except Explorer and Systray. How does the machine run? If it runs better than one of the 8 apps is causing a problem. If no change, then it could be hardware or ME. I'm assuming you've already tried rebooting. Another question is have you installed any funky software recently? Have you downloaded anything funky? Have you virus scanned recently? Is all your hardware drivers showing up properly in the control panel? If everything checks out, then I'd go and install another OS and wipe that drive clean.