My comp got fried by lightning

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Pyromaniacbob, Jul 8, 2007.

1. Pyromaniacbob

Pyromaniacbob New Member

So right now I am using a laptop I bought for 200 bucks. However it's got an onboard graphics card so it can't play css. I'm really interested in fixing my original comp i built last year.... but I have no idea what parts work after the lightning fried it. The mobo/cpu probably doesnt work, had a technician tell us that(which one for sure is a mystery). But any suggestions on what to see still works? Hdd, ram, vid card??? I'm desperate to game again please help. but on that note if i do fix it, i'll probably upgrade it a little bit anyways.

2. KatWoman

KatWoman •••••••••••

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2007
  3. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

In terms of damage expect the worst and that you have to buy an (almost?)entire new computer, the powersupply ,mobo and harddisk(s) ,along with maby well im not sure if your monitor still works ,but im amazed if it would, my advice is this

take the computer apart, and take it to a friends computer. Lay out all the items on a table. Then first check out all the components , such as graphic card(s) ,sound card(unless you have onboard), put the harddisk on his computer, see if it boots or gets detected. K expect nothing to work , and be very happy if something still does. Then proceed and check if the mother board would still work with his components, boot process and what not, if it doesn't work well by then you should know what items are fried and which ones aren't.

4. Chris

Chris New Member

This happened to a guy at work about 3 weeks ago, he thought all was lost including the HDD and PSU he brought to our tech people at work, and they told him they were both cooked.

But since he had about a month of Dell warranty left he called them and turns out it was only his PSU that was dead, replaced it and now hes up and running again

Not sure how much that says for our tech support department, who said they couldnt read anything on his HDD :noes:

5. Pyromaniacbob

Pyromaniacbob New Member

well this will sound funny but i'm hoping everything is fried so i have an excuse to buy all this new stuff from newegg.com :)

the 22" samsung LCD 2ms monitor is calling my name. plus everything else will be upgraded :)

6. elmro

elmro New Member

Time to buy a surge protector.

7. Chris

Chris New Member

Most of the time they cant even stop lightning, Ive seen people with two UPSs daisy chained together because they wanted the extra battery power and the lightning still got to their comp

The smart thing to do is to unplug everything if theres a storm coming, that includes ethernet and any other connections

8. Pyromaniacbob

Pyromaniacbob New Member

Yea the important thing to look for when buying a surge protector is the surge protection guarantee. You can buy like RCA surges with the money guarantee for like 50g for like 26 bucks. The one I had on the comp was a cheap one from long ago that didn't have that guarantee.