My chain broke on the freeway.

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by BlackCord96, May 22, 2004.

1. BlackCord96

BlackCord96 The Humble Magnificent.

I was in the fast lane, as soon as I changed lanes I heard a loud grinding noise. I lost control for a few seconds. I tried to give throttle but no luck. I stopped and found out my chain was gone. It took out my left rear signal and bent it's mount right into the fairing.

What kind of damage may have happened, engine wise?

The motor will not start as well. I got it towed to my cousin's house, we took a look, the chain guard is gone, the metal mounts that hold it in are twisted, one actually broke off. The sprocket seems to be okay.

Any help would be appreciated.

BTW, the bike is a 1991 F2.

Thanks,

Neil

Last edited: May 22, 2004
  2. GCEX

GCEX Drifting Along

:wtc: Fucking A man, I was just about to bump your I bought a new bike thread or start a new thread to ask how your bike was. :sad2:

3. BlackCord96

:wtc:

This sucks, I just bought a Shoei helmet too. If I find out that the damage is too much $$$, I'll most likely sell it.

4. GCEX

GCEX Drifting Along

Honestly though, you're very lucky you didn't go down. The chain could've gotten hung up or binded before it broke and locked your rear tire. Kudos for keeping the bike sticky side down.

I tried searching the motorcycle forums but couldn't find anything. The bike was running immediately after the chain was broken right? You had to shut it off manually so maybe it's something simple like the kickstand sensor.

Don't sell your helmet, you can always let the bike sit around for a while until you have the money to get it fixed. You've still got your S2000 to play with :big grin:.

5. BlackCord96

Yes, the engine was running as soon as the chain broke. The thing is, I didn't know the chain was gone until I stopped to check. Before I pulled to the side of the road I kept giving it throttle, wondering why i wasn't accelerating. :o

I tried starting it an hour later, no luck, it's been 2 days now since I tried starting it, I'll probably go to my cousin's house and try again. :sad2:

6. oakie

oakie my ninja.

like the other guy said, check your kickstand switch. unless the chain whipped back and damaged something, the motor should start just fine... so you must be overlooking something.

and if the chain had whipped back, you're lucky you still have a calf ;)

7. The Acclude

The Acclude Makin' love is cool, but sometimes she needs her h

my chain is fubared but I put 125 miles on it today, Im gonna order one tomorrow, and change it this week :x:

8. BlackCord96

:bigthumb:

I had my bike seviced about 2 weeks prior. It was in good shape. :dunno:

9. The Acclude

The Acclude Makin' love is cool, but sometimes she needs her h

everywhere I fucking go, or check online my chain & sprockets are back ordered. :hs:

if anyone can find a kit (ready to ship/overnight) for an 01 sv650s Id appreciate it.

10. oakie

oakie my ninja.

11. Car54

Car54 Member

call them, they will put a kit together for you if you are unsure of what you want/need.

Chain maintence is pretty simple.. it would be the first thing I changed on a used bike with unknown past.