SRS My "center" is no more

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by THT, Apr 12, 2006.

1. THT

THT The easy way is always mined

I graduated from college in May 2005 and started work at a Fortune 100 company in a rather high-profile accounting position (leads to management pretty quickly). At the same time, I purchased a small home on a relatively large piece of land (.5 acre...most lots in the subdivision are .25 acre).

Fast forward to today, almost one year later.

My family has moved to Canada (yeah, no jokes about that), my friends are hours away, my girlfriend of two years is three hours away, and I've made no friends here (nor have I attempted to whatwith work taking up so much time). My career is becoming increasingly stressful as I am moving to the most-coveted, non-supervisory position in the department next month and am the youngest staff member (24). To compound that stress, I have begun preparing for the CPA exam, something that will dictate what I do with my life for the next six months. So obviously, work has me stressed out.

At home, I discovered a signficant lawn problem...grubs had destroyed about 15% of the front lawn. I've determined that I need to take out the dead grass/sod, recondition the soil, and reseed, all before my first TruGreen treatment on May 1.

No family, no friends, lots of work, and I come home to a PITA.

Until this month, I felt like my life was in a state of balance; I focused on work and saw my friends when I could by going back to my alma mater. Then, these other issues hit me all at once and I can't seem to mitigate the turbulence. The things I used to do (target shooting and drag racing) no longer help me unwind partly because I just don't have time for them. And when I do, I worry about my lawn or my career, etc.

I guess I just needed a sounding board but if anyone has any advice, I welcome it.

2. GlassUser

GlassUser send an email not a pm OT Supporter

If you're doing so well at work, pay someone to do the work for you.

For the rest, I've been there. I gave it up and moved back home. Got to figure out where your priorities are, what you can get by with and without.

3. beanolo

beanolo It does a body good!!!1

Your best judgement got you where you are today. Which doesn't sound like a bad spot. I'm sure you heard the phrase that you gotta work hard to play hard. Focus on what you need to do for now, and everything else will come shortly after.

You won't get anywhere in life without taking risks or sacrifices in other areas. Which sounds like you did make a number of sacrifices, don't let them all go in vain by you breaking apart and giving up now.

Hang in there bud.

4. Fallout Girl

Fallout Girl New Member

I agree. Hang in there. One day at a time, on big focus at at ime. You have the CPA thing coming up? Focus on that. And also as said before, hire someone to take care of your lawn, believe me, it's worth the money and the stress off your back, but only if you get a good lawn service, ask for references.
    Tell your girlfriend what's up and what's going on, make sure she knows that you have a LOT on your plate right now. Maybe she'll clue in and try to pick up your slack for you just while you are doing this and make the trips out to see you. Just don't make that too much of a habit or she'll get tired of it. Or, depending on how long you have been together, how strong the relationship is, decide whether or not you really want a relationship at this point in time. And aside from that, do what all the other big wigs do. Go golfing on you off time. You can bend your putter in half and throw it in the water hazard, might blow off some steam. And you might brush some elbows with other even bigger big wigs and who knows.... Soon enough things are streaming right along on an even keel (don't know if I spelled that right) again. Godspead.

5. Toasty

Toasty Naked people have little or no influence on societ

It's easy to fall into this trap when you driven to do a lot of things at once. I've been there a few times and I know how you feel. Sometimes I feel as if I'm teetering on a wall with one foot swinging wildly around keeping me from breaking down because of all the different stresses.

This is what helps me:

a) Always take you hobbies and "play time" as seriously as you do your work & responsibilities. Usually the first thing on our schedules to get shoved aside when we get busy is our hobbies.

But that shouldn't be the case. Everything needs balance...it's a philosophy that has been taught by asian cultures for thousands of years. In effect, you need to work hard, and play hard.

You'll find that if you actually make a point to put to give yourself some time off, you will often feel refreshed when you DO return to work and study. Perhaps even making you much more effective and efficient as well.

b) when things pile up. It's important to take things one step at a time. Stay organized & plan carefully. I use planners and TO-DO lists both on my PCs as well as my Treo to always keep track of each thing I need to do.

More then once, I'd panic with all the things I feel I need to do, but when I open my project list I find out everything is ok. It really helps.

My former boss once told me the way she keeps all her crazy tasks in check is by writing it all down on an index card each morning and then she'd cross out each task as she completes it. The act of crossing it out helped to make her feel less stressed.

c) Finally, try to talk to other business people. Join a business networking club. Perhaps talking to other CPAs or soon-to-be CPAs like yourself will help you realize that you are not alone. It's a HUGE relief when you get to bitch to someone and they say "I feel that way TOO!!!"

Good luck to you!

6. THT

THT The easy way is always mined

Thank you for all the great advice, everyone. I will probably end up hiring a lawn service to get that monkey off my back. I'll also try to incorporate a "one day at a time" focus while playing as hard as I work but I think it's going to take a significant amount of time to successfully do. Thanks again.