MIL my buddy and I are going to try our hand at OCS v.record question

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Abomb, Jan 8, 2009.

1. Abomb

Abomb New Member

for the marines and my buddy got a misdemeanor paraphenilia ticket and did deferred judication like 2-3 years ago. The ticket was outside of a very small town.

Will it show up on his record? If not, I am assuming he should not mention it? Is there anyway for him to find out ahead of time if it shows up or not?

oh and a question about myself:

I got a 1290 on the sat. How will this affect my asvab?

2. MassiveGas

MassiveGas OT Supporter

wait...what?
    have you been to college yet?

3. Abomb

Abomb New Member

i just have my upper division classes left i have a nice chunk of hours

to clarify: on the application I think it says sat can substitute for asvab. I am looking for details.

4. widds2v

widds2v Active Member

Why can’t I use my ACT or SAT score to enter the military? The ASVAB is designed for a different purpose than the ACT and SAT. The ASVAB is designed to predict success in the military, while the ACT and SAT are designed to predict success in college. As a result, the content of the ASVAB is different from the content of the ACT and SAT, and different examinee populations take the ASVAB and ACT and SAT tests. Therefore, performance on the ACT or SAT is not necessarily a very good substitute for performance on the ASVAB, or vice versa. In order to make sure that all applicants are held to the same evaluation standards, it is necessary for everyone to take the ASVAB.

5. When I was applying for the Marines PLC officer thing they said I didn't have to take the ASVAB because I scored high enough on the SAT. Just sayin'.

6. widds2v

widds2v Active Member

Whoever you talked to is retarded. Your ASVAB score isn't a cut & dry number that determines whether or not you can join the military. There are 10 parts to the test, and different rates/MOS' require different scores based on adding up different parts. There is no way to do something like that based on a 2 section SAT.

Not to mention like the military.com FAQ, they test for two different things.

7. ElCidKid

ElCidKid New Member

it wont officers take the AFOQT unless the Marines make you take both. As for the paraphenilia issue I cant say, but the Marines are the best, and they are lead by the best (at least they think so) and the Marines look at stuff like that, becoming an Officer is no small deal.

8. kazimer

kazimer New Member

He better mention it or discreetly ask around. Talk to a lawyer that specializes in military law, they will be able to tell you if he is or is not required to disclose that information. It may/can affect security clearance issues

stop being a pussy and take the ASVAB, its not that hard and it tests things the ACT/SAT does not test..at least the army ASVAB tests these things