My brother is being stupid...

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Raithan, May 16, 2005.

1. Raithan

Raithan :wackit:

He used to ride dirt bikes when he was a teenager, but hasn't since (He's 31 now).... Now he has decided he wants to get a street bike along with a couple of his buddies (stupid idea I think, but whatever) Well, I can't seem to talk him out of a big bike.. He keeps saying that because he is 6'5" and 280lbs, he needs a high CC bike. I keep telling him to get something like an SV650 or maybe a Shadow 600, something w/o a lot of power.. but he is looking at CBR1000's, R1s, and his latest idea is a Honda Interceptor ABS... Any ideas on how to make him listen to me?

Side note: I've been riding a CBRF2 (1992) for two years as my first bike, and I'm looking at either getting a 2002 CBR F4i, or a 2005 Kawa ZX-6R.. :hsugh:

2. nosaj

nosaj OT Supporter

I think you are both ready for turbo'd busas

3. RedVsBlue

RedVsBlue Penguins > *

If he is confident let him be. He will either be fine, or find out why you wanted him to ride smaller. Honestly if he has any experience with dirt bikes, and knows somewhat what he is doing, then he should be fine on a 1000. Yea its a powerful bike, but as long as he can control HIMSELF, then he should be fine.

BTW I have an 02 F4i, awesome bike :)

4. RedVsBlue

RedVsBlue Penguins > *

I was born ready for one of those! Just aint happening anytime soon :rofl:

5. Bret The Ripper

Bret The Ripper I

I agree. Let him do it. I got an RC-51 as a first bike. I did fine for the first 3 months and then laid it down. But it was a mistake that i would have made on a 600 also. The new 600's are almost as fast now anyways. Let him know that he realistically has a 99% chance of laying down his first bike as long as its a sport bike of any kind.

I would try to convince him to take a Motorcycle safety course, which will also get his motorcycle endorsement if he doenst have one.

6. Short Bus

Short Bus Beep beep!

...or maybe you could have started out on something a lot less expensive to wreck to learn on. There's a reason why so many people advise against even starting on a 600.

7. Jujharoo

Jujharoo New Member

Let your bro buy whatever he wants to,
    but If I were you Id look into R6s.
    new 636 (05s) are ooogly, that undertail doesnt look right

8. Raithan

Raithan :wackit:

See, usually I do let my brother live and learn.. but this is a little more dangerous, I just don't want him killing himself. He isn't the brightest.. he's the type of guy that if one of his friends says "Hey, try this!" my brother will try it.

I'm looking into R6s as well, but I think the '05 636's are sex.. :drool:
    Problem is I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to upgrade bikes.. dunno if I can afford insurance, fuckin Progressive wants like 2300$ a year for something I'll only be able to ride for like maybe 6 months a year.

9. Bret The Ripper

Bret The Ripper I

:o the RC is a spendy bitch to fix as im finding out.

It had been layed down several times though lightly. Scratches on all the plastic when i got it. That was one of the main factors when i bought it. It was cheap and not pretty close up. Looks good in pics though. :bigthumb: