SRS my boss is an asshole.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by familyguy101, May 6, 2008.

1. familyguy101

familyguy101 New Member

I got a job at a towing company about 4 months ago. Things got off to kind of a rough start and it hasn't been going well ever since. My boss is a total dick. He criticizes me A LOT along with most of the people there. Almost every conversation I have with him ends with me feeling demoralized and unenergized. There are also some NASTY co workers there. One of them has emotional problems and lashes out at me for the smallest things and cusses a lot. Whenever I get upset about this crap they call me a "pussy" and tell me i'm a "sensitive prick". I like the job, but don't like my co workers. I want to quite, but I don't know what else I want to do for money. What should I do?

2. Vysion

Vysion New Member

I wouldn't stay in a hostile environment like that even if I did like the job. I wouldn't quit the job though until you have found another one that you either like or can tide you over until you do find another one that you like.

But then again if you can learn to ignore the assholes maybe you can keep your current job since you like it.

3. konrad109

konrad109 New Member

That sucks. Start looking for another job cause that kinda shit does wear you down over time. How much time do you really have to spend with em as a tow truck driver? Aren't you on the road most of the time?

If it was me, I'd simply try to avoid em as much as possible and look for another job. Also rest assured that they are assholes plain and simple and probably treat everyone they run into that way, especially younger people, so don't take it personally. Think of them as messed up in the head and how bad it must be for them to be so miserable all the time. Use that to help you bite your tongue untill you find a new job.

4. JohnJohnJohnson

JohnJohnJohnson Effetely Sipping My Latte OT Supporter

once you have an offer from somewhere else, make a stand. :dunno:

5. Redbeard

Redbeard OT Supporter

They are abusing you.

6. familyguy101

familyguy101 New Member

sometimes when were slow I have to hang around the shop all day with em. It's not everyone there, just a handful of people.

There is just no communication with em. They tell me something or criticize me for something and it doesn't make sense. So, I ask for an explanation and they start freaking out that I am arguing with them??? I don't know what to do in those situations.

It's the towing industry, which isn't a field that is full of intelligent, rational beings. They think they are all tough because they shit on each other all day. But really, there is no point in treating each other like that. I don't think they will ever see it that way.

7. Yail Bloor

Yail Bloor OT Supporter

you should quit

8. MattThom01

MattThom01 New Member

Knowing what some of your previous posts, I realistically can't agree that it is just a bad work environment. I do think some of it is your responsibility...but anyways, if the work environment sucks, quit.

9. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

Hearing about jobs like this make me thankful I worked hard in school.

10. k1ko

k1ko OT Supporter

choose another profession. you gotta be an asshole or dick to be in the towing business.

11. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

Its sorta not nice to say that because not everyone is strong to have what it takes to graduate. Besides this kind of stuff doesn't only happen in low-end jobs ,there are assholes in every section, but especially if you are only able to work in low-end jobs then even if you change jobs, your bound to expect this kind of trash treatment in every section, this because work that no one likes to do,gives so much negativity that it pisses people off, and that negativity is then projected onto (you guessed it right) you.

The ONLY thing that works is to stand your ground and tell the people straight in their face on what is wrong with their behaviour. Do NOT care if it is your boss, do NOT care if it can cost you your job. You need to stand ground for the things that you do not tolerate. Its not the job that is the problem, its the personal problems that these people have which is really the core of the problem.

Its like this your boss always looks if there is a way to walk over you, and has tremendous joy in doing so. DO NOT ALLOW PEOPLE TO WALK OVER YOU ever, peroid!

Because its the green light for them to fuck with you.Give a clear signal that you are not to be fucked with,you need to have more of a sailorman attitude in that, and not care or be afraid to lose your job. Because you need to seperate work and personal problems, what you often see (like in orange county choppers on discovery channel) that they mix the job with their personal issues. That's why you have to point out what's wrong with their personality and seperate it from the job issue. Honestly defending yourself will do you a world of good.

12. Coottie

Sometimes my methods aren't nice but it would be a mistake to think they're wrong. Is every approach going to reach every person? No but that's why I take different approaches because one never knows what will get through.

And I'm well aware that asshole bosses can exist in any job. The thing is, generally speaking, education provides one alternatives. It doesn't guarantee a job nor even a wonderful job where the person is supremely happy. It usually does give a person more options so when they find themselves in this kind job, they aren't usually stuck there.

It was also the most efficient method of communicating what I see as the out. One doesn't always need a degree to get out of this kind of job. It was a bad job that led me to study in my free time that then led me back to university and to a great job that I love.

So there are reasons for my posts, even if they're not obvious.
    The problem with this approach, the boss can fire you. While I generally agree, this isn't the only approach.

13. borazhasleftthebuilding

borazhasleftthebuilding Lets Party OT Supporter

14. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

I know the answer sounds simple, but start finding aother job NOW. Once you have-quit that shithole.

15. Redbeard

Redbeard OT Supporter

If they fire him for anything other than performance/attendance he can sue. You cant fire someone for being a "pussy".

16. Coottie

Ever hear of an "at will" state? That means the boss can fire you at will. He doesn't have to give a reason, he doesn't have to say anything except, GTFO.

If/when he does, you can't sue. Sure you can file a lawsuit but it will be dismissed with summary judgment in favor of the defendant (which isn't you).

Now you could file sexual discrimination charges if in fact, your boss did something inappropriate but this should only be done if something really happened, not because you're pissed you got fired. That could lead to YOU going to jail for making false claims.

Oklahoma is one of the at will states. There are others.

Funny thing is, when I was young and growing up, many people thought just as you, that you can sue if you get fired. They just didn't know the laws of the land.....they would even argue about being able to sue if they got fired. It's funny how defensive people get when they think they're right....even though they are dead wrong.

17. Redbeard

Redbeard OT Supporter

You forgot to click on this link while coming up with that info from the "at-will" wiki entry.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discrimination
    ------------------

Unlawful discrimination can be characterized as direct or slightly less direct. Direct discrimination involves treating someone less favorably because of their possession of an attribute (e.g., sex, age, race, religion, family status, national origin, military status, disability), compared with someone without that attribute in the same circumstances. An example of direct discrimination would be not giving a woman a job because she is more likely to take maternity leave. Indirect discrimination involves setting a condition or requirement which a smaller proportion of those with the attribute are able to comply with, without reasonable justification. The case of Griggs v. Duke Power Company[2] provides an example of indirect discrimination, where an aptitude test used in job applications was found "to disqualify Negroes at a substantially higher rate than white applicants".

18. Coottie

Well you're confusing the issue.

You previously said,
    Which is not true....he can fire you for being a pussy, he just doesn't have to tell you that. All he has to say is get the fuck out and you're gone. His reason is his own.

Then to support your incorrect statement, you try to change your argument and say, "discrimination is wrong dude and you can sue". Something which I never disagreed with....in fact, I mentioned one form of discrimination, sex discrimination.

Oh and I never looked up at will on wiki....it's all in my brain cuz I'm that much of a pimp.

So there.

19. Redbeard

Redbeard OT Supporter

If he can prove it. That was my original point.

20. MattThom01

MattThom01 New Member

My guess would be that if he did get fired for "being a pussy" it would be phrased as being terminated for "inappropriate attitude" or "attitude not suitable for this position".

I'm pretty sure you can be fired for constantly having a bad attitude.

21. Ameter

Ameter Active Member

just going by your posts in this thread alone, I suspect there is more to it. I suspect that you have the general attitude of 'I'm always right', and when people point out things you're doing wrong, you try to argue with them about it. Now that you've got the reputation as 'that guy', no one will give you the time of day, so even when clarification is needed, you won't get it, because they don't want to get into an argument with you.

22. Ameter

Ameter Active Member

also, you broadcast the attitude that you're better than them. That's no way to make friends either. I got news for you. You're a tow truck driver as well

23. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

It sounds like they're just trying to welcome you into the club by shitting on you. I know it sucks to work in that kind of an environment when you'd much rather have intelligent conversations, but these people like you said aren't too smart. Don't take it so personally. Fuck with them back, just don't be offensive though.