My black Evo and my first real detail *56K DIAF*

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by UFO, Mar 1, 2006.

1. UFO

UFO Evolved

So, when I bought my car they threw in some dealer installed swirl marks. Very nice of them I thought. It wasn't horrendous or anything but when the sun hit it at the right angle then you could see the paint was 'misty.'
    [​IMG]
    I stupidly believed that a nice clay bar job and some Zaino would fix the problem. It didn't. So, I scoured the web for answers and discovered I needed some DACP and a good orbital to fix it. I bought his PC bundle from Detailer's Paradise: http://www.detailersparadise.com/View.asp?ProductID=821232004228071-2491365464 and ordered some Poor Boy's SR1 and Vanilla Moose wax from Excel Detail. I already had some Poor Boy's polish with carnuba and Natty's paste wax. Incidentally, my order from Detailer's Paradise arrived in 2 days and their customer service is second to none.

So, on to the detail. For each stages of polishing I did 1 panel at a time (except for the roof and hood where I did half at a time) and immediately buffed off with a microfiber towel. I started out with a wash with some Dawn (car had been clayed a few weeks prior and paint was still smooth). Dried her off and hit it with the orange pad and some SR1. I used the PC on a speed of 3 for all of the passes and started with an up/down pass followed by a back/forth pass. Next was the white pad with the vanilla moose wax. Final coat (I ran out of daylight/time) was the black pad with the polis with carnuba. I did intend to top it off with the paste wax but that will have to wait until this weekend now.

Now for some pics. First picture is before I started, second is after it was washed, and third is the final fruit of my labour.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    On the clean shot (2nd pic) you can really see the swirl marks.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Again, the paint looks misty due to the swirls.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Looks surprisingly OK in the clean pic from this angle.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Nasty looking clean pic :(.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Final Impressions: I'm very pleased with the end result. The PC is very easy to use and it gave excellent results with the Paradise pads. I still have swirl marks though. But, at least now you would never know unles you get right up on the paint. I'm not sure if it's because I used the SR1 instead of the harsher SR2 or if I should have used the more abrasive yellow pad with it. The orange peel in the paint also takes away from the deep shine somewhat but that's something I can't fix without a repaint :(. Overall, I think the car looks 10 times better though.

I must thank ScottWax and the other detailers who provide their input here. I know you have no clue who I am but I have read most of your posts and tried to take everything in. Without your knowledge and assistance I would have been lost and would probably have paid someone to do this for me.

2. dan avoN7

dan avoN7 New Member

Car looks very nice David!

3. spark plugs.

spark plugs. beautiful. OT Supporter

it does look incredible. damn...good job. are you sure this is your first detail?

4. UFO

UFO Evolved

:blush: I've obviously clayed and waxed cars before but this is my first time using a PC and any type of abrasive polish/swirl remover. It's also the first black car I've ever owned. The PC was incredibly easy to use and it helped that I had so much info on here to digest before starting the project (autopia was a lot of help too). I was shit scared that I was going to damage the paint and have to repaint the car when I was finished though :noes:.

5. CBlakeNS

CBlakeNS New Member

Looking good man!!

I recently just did my jeep with my new pc and some mothers power polish and power wax...turned out great.

Now I just need to buy some more aggressive products and another wide variety of pads and it will look even better!!!

PC is really nice I love it however I dont like the virbations at speed 5/6

6. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Excellent work! Definitely an improvement.

I'd order some Optimum Polish to take care of the swirls and you need to bump the PC up to 5-6 and apply enough pressure to lightly bog the PC, then back off just enough for it to speed up. Once you have spread the product around, slow the PC movement to 1" per second with 50% overlapping passes for 3-4 passes. Using it on 3 won't do much for swirls.

I'd also suggest removing the handle and placing your hand over the head of the PC, keeps it more level and the vibration isn't as bad. :)

7. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

Just a little forwarning here.
    After time (at least for me) the plastic shroud that covers the gearset and the counterweight on the head, can pop off the top of the PC. So i went to home depot and got some bolts that had the same threading as the handle, and put them in the side of the head to hold the shroud on. Works great, and the bolt heads dont stick out at all.

Its just a little extra piece of mind, and a nice level of safty.

Other then that...

What Scott said. Especially on the optimum. God that stuff kicks ass.