My BJJ Journey

Discussion in 'MMA Training Logs' started by .Tim, Aug 13, 2008.

1. .Tim

.Tim New Member

That 75 minutes went by extremely fast, except for the last 10 minutes or so when I drank that last cup of water which was obviously a little more than I needed. Thought I might throw up but I didn't. Still despite that and the mat burn it all went great. Only techniques we did were sweeps from the open guard and then the last 30 minutes or so we rolled and did whatever we wanted. I did pretty well, never got put on my back which was nice. Was never in any danger, got into mount a few times and escaped some triangle attempts. Didn't have the experience or the balls to try any submissions though. I tapped each time but only due to exhaustion. I'm just fucking out of shape haha! I thought I did pretty well for it being my first time. Got a few "I was impressed" said to me afterward which was nice. It starts all over again on Thursday and I can't wait. I'm hoping to be a little more detailed in the future but I'm dead ass tired. Loved it though.

I train at Titan Martial Arts in Norman, Oklahoma. www.titanmartialarts.com

2. Hillary

Hillary fukc yaeh. ew waitled long enough. nujgses of hill

The guy who promoted your coach is one of my coaches.

3. .Tim

.Tim New Member

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (Motorola Q: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 4.01; Windows CE; Smartphone; 176x220))

Yeah I noticed that. :bigthumb:

4. .Tim

.Tim New Member

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (Motorola Q: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 4.01; Windows CE; Smartphone; 176x220))

Your coach is apparently doing a seminar at my school on September 20th. I defintely want to check that out.

And I'll post about tonights class later. My house is without power for now. :(

5. Hillary

Hillary fukc yaeh. ew waitled long enough. nujgses of hill

September 20th? I guess I'll be there unless I have a fight.

6. .Tim

.Tim New Member

I'm pretty sure that's what he said. I could be wrong, first time for everything. :big grin:

7. .Tim

.Tim New Member

Finally after about 5 hours I have power so now I can post this and then go to sleep!

Class #2 went much better. We worked the triangle and the armbar. The armbar went real smoothly after the first few slow tries. I think that'll be my go to from mount for now. The triangle I got the technique down but I have really big short legs so I can't get my ankle behind the knee just yet. I think I'll get there eventually. Also being in the triangle doesn't suck as much as I expected it to. It's not great but not the worst thing ever. I'm not really panicking and staying calm. My main concern is my struggle to pace myself. I'm basically sprinting out the gate which is dumb to begin with and add my barely existing endurance and I'm fucked. I did a little better on that tonight and didn't force myself to roll when physically I didn't have it in me. No feeling like throwing up this time! :rofl::hs:

8. .Tim

.Tim New Member

Waking up at 9:30 for an 11:00am class probably not the best idea on your third day but it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Today we worked the armbar from the guard which I liked, I don't know if this is common but armbar from guard and mount both seem to come very easily to me. We also did what I'm guessing is the half cross collar choke (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-Kbj79m-BA) and that took me a minute to get down but I like it. As each class comes I'm getting better and better at pacing myself. I still suck at it but I'm improving. I need to learn to do more when I'm in a dominant position though but I'm learning. It's only been 3 days. Today is the first day I've had bruises and marks on my arms and face. Work will be interesting I'm sure, haha! Next week I'm probably going to start some conditioning training on off days and maybe after classes when I get home. Even if it only helps a little bit it's still worth it. After a couple weeks of that I'll go back to strength training. Overall I'm loving this more than I expected to, go choked pretty good a few times in class today which sucked but was good. Now I know what it feels like and I'm proud of myself for not panicking and staying calm. I escaped a lot of submissions which was good, I didn't do as well against a green belt that prefers to fall to his guard from the start and shows no emotion while rolling and looks like he's not even putting in any effort. Calm as fuck, one dude referred called him a monk. Haha! That bastard was tough and he wasn't even going 100% with me! Or at least he says he wasn't. But I'm not complaining, rolling with guys like that who help/teach me as they're whooping my ass and afterward tell me what I did wrong or what I did right and so on is going to be what helps me progress the most. I am really happy with how cool everyone in this class is and everyone is trying to help everyone. Scott Hewitt is a great instructor and runs a great class and his students seem to mirror his demeanor. I wanted to say more but I got distracted and totally forgot what I was going to say in this.

9. .Tim

.Tim New Member

Today went extremely well, I did a little bit better at pacing myself and not charging in like a psycho. We worked a sweep with different variations, one being sweeping and getting mount and going to an arm bar, another into a rear naked choke, another into a I'm not sure what to call it but you hold up high on the gi and push your arm into the opponents throat from their guard (after they've attempted a sweep and you've blocked it and pushed them back down). Got my first submission rolling which was nice. Got a 1 stripe white belt in an arm bar from mount, he was holding on to my gi with both hands and I was able to break one off and swing around and get the arm. That was a great feeling. Then after that I rolled with another white belt and gassed before anything could happen which is so fucking embarrassing but it's my 4th day and I'm getting better with that. After I rested for about 5 I spent the remaining 20 minutes or so rolling with a green belt, I've rolled with him a few times already and even though he usually whoops my ass he teaches me while he does it and afterward which is the best way to get an ass whooping. Learn from it. I tweaked my shoulder last Saturday and did it again today but it's a dull sensation so no big deal. I'm starting to get more and more compliments on my ground game which is nice. I feel like I'm improving significantly with each class. The green belt told me he thinks I'd like it more and do better in no-gi because even though it's been almost 15 years I'm still a wrestler and the gi gives me issues. I'm learning though. I'll still stick with the gi but I think no-gi will be where I really shine. Not sure when I'll start that but I'm thinking at least 2 weeks away. I have to go take a shower now.......a really hot shower.

10. .Tim

.Tim New Member

Well first injury. I guess it had to come some time. Not really sure what did it but my shoulder was bothering me all week. Nothing major so I didn't think anything of it. Then near the end of class today it just started to get to be too much and I didn't have a lot of power in that arm so I sat out the last 10 minutes or so. Looks like it's just some soreness with the rotator cuff. A hot shower has already improved it some. I might skip Saturday's class but I'll make that decision Saturday morning. One good thing is my real gi finally came in today so I don't have to use that borrowed one where the pants were slightly too long and the top was slightly too short. :rofl::hs:

And I keep forgetting to sign up for that Renato seminar. I think Saturday even if I don't train I'll go up there just to sign up. I don't want to miss this shit. :o

11. .Tim

.Tim New Member

BJJ Day #8

Skipped days 6 and 7 which I hated to do but I’m not risking injuring myself so severely it requires surgery.

Started back up tonight and I’m getting better at pacing myself which is great. Tapping because of a submission hold > tapping from exhaustion. I get hot as fuck in that gi though, I don’t even wear clothing that thick in the fucking winter! I think no-gi is going to be better for me in that aspect, among a few others. It’s great to be back! :coolugh:

Though that two days off felt like 2 months tonight! :hs::rofl:

12. .Tim

.Tim New Member

Today we just worked arm bars a lot from different positions. Which I liked, since I can do that easily. HA!

I'm also pretty proud of myself for not pushing myself too far and pacing myself well.

I finally remembered to sign up for Renato's seminar. Not really sure what to expect but I expect it to be good.

Oh and rolling with someone who has Freddy Kruger hands for feet sucks ass.

13. .Tim

.Tim New Member

Thanks. It's only been 3 weeks but I feel like I've progressed so much. Either way I love this shit more than I thought I would.

14. .Tim

.Tim New Member

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: It never fails to crack me up when I get home and see my arms looking like I'm a battered wife or something all bruised or gi burned up. :rofl:

15. .Tim

.Tim New Member

Today we worked kind of an around the world kind of thing where you go slightly past the north/south position with an arm trapped and roll them away from you on to their side with your knees on each side of their head and then go for an armbar or a kimura. I chose to alternate between the two since I need to learn the kimura but I need to polish up my armbar skills too. Great class, my pace is getting better and better. I got tired a few times but not "holy fuck I'm dead" tired and didn't feel dead driving home. My grip is weak as fuck though, I need to work on that. I'm finally getting there! There was more but fuck it I'm tired and want to go to bed.

16. .Tim

.Tim New Member

Glad to see my conditioning drastically improving. Didn't get "tired" once and we even rolled longer than usual and I still feel like I could go a lot longer. I'm really proud of that shit.

17. .Tim

.Tim New Member

Seminar is this Saturday, not really sure what to expect but I'm really looking forward to it. Makes it even better that there is no OU game that day so I don't have to dvr it.

18. .Tim

.Tim New Member

Renato was a cool ass dude. The three hours seemed to fly by too.

19. .Tim

.Tim New Member

Most of my class today was spent getting choked out repeatedly by a blue belt. But I like rolling with him, he gives me tips while kicking my ass. So it's a helpful ass kicking. Plus it makes the other white belts seem a lot easier. My grip is still pathetic though, I got to start working on that shit.

But again :bigthumb: to me rolling the whole time and not having to rest for more than enough time to fix my gi. Not being exhausted all the time is great.

20. .Tim

.Tim New Member

I rolled with a 235lbs blue belt tonight (I'm 165lbs) and holy fuck. Once he had me in side control I was done. Heavy bastard! I enjoy it though, makes the guys my size seem like nothing.

21. teep

teep New Member

rolling with bigger guys is great for you. it makes me less spazzy and concentrate more on technique

22. .Tim

.Tim New Member

Your avatar makes that statement hilarious.

23. .Tim

.Tim New Member

Picture from the seminar. My face looks weird.

[​IMG]

The in the second row, second from the right, I'm the one with the taller go looking over my head.

24. Gogoplata

Gogoplata Guest

Renato Tavares ftw!

25. .Tim

.Tim New Member

A few more pics I came across today on the schools website:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]