SRS my biggest flaw :(

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by marauder, Mar 27, 2006.

1. marauder

marauder New Member

If you have a smart ass thing say to please don't :(
    Go easy on me I feel very uncomfortably posting this :noes: this is my biggest flaw :( :wtc:

Times tables are scattered in what I could remember at best you know how 4x5=20 and 5x4=20 etc. (and what the I remember 8x8=64 no issues weird I think) and your meant to remember those and sort of just connect them and as you learn one lot remember those common ones I can’t, I see them as just rows side by side and can’t make the connection I seem to need to learn one lot at a time and then I move onto the next and seem to forget the last lot. I try for a while to get them I have sorta given up a bit :hs:

This should be a kids issue when his in primary school I wish it wasn’t one I seem to have had very long term hell somehow I made it through when I was at high school but barely.
    Is this a poor memory thing or what?
    I seem to be much better with my hands building thing but I was never interested in that stuff.

Mabye the only thing I am good with computers is because it's more visual and I can even if I forget what ever it was I can start and it just seems to come back to me guess building and repairing them being my main interest helps :)
    I don't know maybe this would help you get how I am picture say from the 2x tables to the 10s all in a row line them up do one at a time then I try to remember them buy sorta trying to go through 1 page one at a time till I get to it or try to remember one close by it if I can and then keep adding what ever to get to the final number. It's slow as a result I don't put my self in a situation that someone asks me a maths related question that I didn't have some time to work out. And I know with jobs slow maths skills won’t get you a job if they know how bad you really are. At least that's how I think.

I think some of the problem is I just don't stick with things enough find it hard to get going sorta maybe if I was very dedicated I in trying to learn them I might? just need a different way to go about it just seems so hard the way I try to learn them.
    This is bit of a late night rant something I guess I just need to say :hs: helpfull comments very welcome.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2006
  2. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

Well relax,

(for the sake of the argument to help you lets say math is absolute (leaving the laws of relativity behind us for a second (i have to say this because i have another discussion thread going on otherwhise the people in there will kill me)

The nice thing about math is that if the situation remains the same, the result will always be absolute.

It could well be that you where in a situation where it wasn't properly explained, this made you fail to do the calculations, and when you where asked to perform these calculations you failed time after time again, resulting in you feeling MASSIVLY insecure about your own brain function and what not.

So basically whenever you are asked math questions, you will feel uncomfortable, and this uncomfortable feeling will make you feel you want to have nothing to do with math. While in reality, math forms the structural laws of this world. It isn't out there to attack you. And its also not made to harm you, or make you feel uncomfortable, its just 'there' and you just have to see it as a hammer, its a tool which you can use to 'do' something structural.

If you use mathematics, you'll always have the same absolute result in terms of outcome. This is handy, because you know the outcome will always be the same.

1*1 = 1
    13 *13 = 169
    5 * 8 = 40

So what is the best way to 'calculate' ?

The best way to calculate(if you don't have a calculator) , is to 'visualise the numbers you want to add,extract, get off, or devide.

lets say 14 * 58 =

a way to do it would be (visualise)

58 is a hard number so lets make it 60

14 times 60 is hard, so lets say we grab these two numbers 1(4) x (6)0

4 * 6 = 24(0) (we add the zero, that we took away to make it easier)
    10 * 60 = 600 +
    ---------------- (we add these two numbers)
    600 + 240 = 840

But we had 58 * 14 and not 60, so basically we take away 14 + 14 = 28

so you'll get

- 28 =
    ---------

3. marauder

marauder New Member

I don’t remember the way I was show but I kind of remember far enough back that in primary school when I started these I failed them most of the time.
    I don’t think I was helped much in way that corrected what I did wrong.
    I guess that’s why this has happened? If I had of been correctly taught and given the help I needed I mightn’t be in this situation. :wtc:
    I know with english in my earlier years I struggled but was given the help I needed so that has remained ok at least could be better but not as big an issue as my poor maths.

Spot on :bigthumb: It has been bad at times I virtually freeze up and just can’t work it out no matter how much I need to. :wtc:

Yeah I guess I need to realy try hard and remember the times tables.

What did you take off to get 14+14 can you show me in detail :hs:

Thank you for post and good advice :)

4. ebbnflo

ebbnflo REAL- LAOT Hermit

If it makes you feel any better. I can relate to issues with math and numbers. I could not even read the 2 posts after your initial post, fully, because my brain just won't let me right now. It just starts humming, that's the only way I can explain it. I have A.D.D. and when my brain gets overwhelmed it 's like everything turns to white noise.
    Crazy.
    I am sorry I am not able to offer you any decent advice, just letting you know you aren't alone. :)

5. marauder

marauder New Member

6. Devilish

Devilish Remind me AGAIN

I wouldn't be too concerned. Most people have an area which they 'fall' in. I can't do simple maths. It doesn't mean anything though coz I can always have a calculator close by ;)

7. marauder

marauder New Member

Thanks :) I think I worry about it more then I should realy.:noes:
    My 2nd area I fall slightly is english but I'm not too bad I can seem to usually get by ok. :)
    I use to read a lot of books over the past 2 years I don't think I have read more then 1-4, I don't know but I think not reading has let my english slip a bit.
    The reason I just don’t seem to be able to visualize stuff to well these days.
    I find it hard to get into a book even if it’s good.

Good thing I can use spell check in word when I need to :) and if if I use the word ennough I will remember it.

I know for sure when latter in my life and I have kids of my own I will try to ensure they aren’t like me and if they need help I will ensure they get the help they need.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2006
  8. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Your biggest problem is that you stole your name from LOD.

Ok, actual advice: get evaluated for a learning disability.

9. marauder

marauder New Member

What's a LOD? I don't know what a LOD is I have never heard of it.

I think I might be able to do this http://www.nichcy.org/pubs/factshe/fs17txt.htm
    Don’t think I said this.
    I did try a maths course at a local college I tried it for as long as I could, it really just all went over my head I didn’t retain much for long. I was able to do it sort of but besides me not really taking it in for long it was much more then I wanted to know I found it was to full on.

If this makes sense even though computers are my main interest and I have done courses to increase my knowledge I feel as if even though I have passed it I like I feel I forget most of it.
    I had a good teacher who showed us a video and was explaining it I find when I really want to remember what I take in and concentrate hard it’s like my head throbs sort of thing if that makes sense from that point on I know I won’t remember any of what I wanted to remember or at best very scatted useless information.

While I am on that when I was going down a different career path and had to do drafting work I think the entire week I was doing it my head felt like not exactly the full on throbbing but toned down.
    I passed although I found it hard it was one of the things I couldn’t afford to fail and if I did I don’t think I could have standard doing it again.

The thing is I am decent at is building and repairing computers whether it’s hardware or software wise.
    Now I’m not sure why I don’t have issues with that really maybe it’s a combination of it being a main interest and being a visual sort of thing and doing certain parts of it many times over.

Something else I say 3 and free the same I know one of mates I way back picked up on this and after he repeated them I got it right but that was ony at the time.

10. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

I think LoD stood for... Lords of Destruction? They went to war with the Masters of Deception. Early hacker war. Marauder was in LoD.

11. marauder

marauder New Member

12. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

13. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

The thing is this.

negative experience -------> moves you away from math.
    If you want to Learn math------> you have to move towards math.

You see the less you do math, the worse it becomes.

Its like a sinking boat, what would make it sink less faster , pumping the water out really hard, or closing your eyes + doing nothing? Well your in the case of closing your eyes,and doing nothing because of a complete fear of math. While a severe counter attack is needed. You should say to yourself , i will do my best to obtain as many mathematical skills as possible, so i may enstrenghten this weak point of mine.

14. marauder

marauder New Member

So I should just be determined and get my basics down and see how I go from there. I think I will try this tactic.

Now what’s the best way to learn the times tables.
    I’m not too good at connecting the ones from different groups that add to the same number.
    Should I learn one lot well and then move on (the thing is I seem to forget them sort of when I move on to the next but I haven’t known them of by heart when I have moved on) and keep going or go through a couple of lots like the 3 and 4 together and then slow add the 5s then 6 etc.

This is what I have been doing (not that I have done much for a long while as I have avoided it)
    Your very correct on this :)

What I normally do is choose one that’s close as I can remember to what I wanted and work my way up or down to what I was after as fast as I can.
    This may sound odd but is there any reason why no matter what from my past trying to remember me 1 has truly stuck with me 8x8=64

15. ebbnflo

ebbnflo REAL- LAOT Hermit

...or if you wanna be all PC about it you could call it a learning DIFFERENCE, ;) since it doesn't necessarily mean that you are lacking the ability to learn, but you haven't yet learned certain things in a way that your brain IS able to grasp onto.