SRS My best friend passed away v.my doggy :(

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Captain Amazing, Aug 16, 2005.

1. Captain Amazing

Captain Amazing OT Supporter

I was on vacation in the Philippines for one month for a reunion and left my dog Lance at a family run kennel. We left him there many times before and thought it would be fine to do so again. Just yesterday I have learned that he died there of a heart attack on the 10th of August at the age of 3. My parents knew the day he died but thought it would be best if I found out after. I have just returned home with my family and right when we walked into our house Lance's belongings were set on the floor in his room by my aunt who was watching the place. I thought I had finished crying but when I saw that I broke down again. It is amazing how one can become so attached to a family pet. I am trying to cope with what happened but am at a loss. Whenever I think of him I feel very sad and depressed. He was a standard Schnauzer, I cannot believe he is gone. What makes me feel bad the most is that I was not there with him in the end but stuck halfway across the world How do you cope with the loss of someone who was very special to you?

2. zigen

zigen GO BUCS!

First of all don't feel bad and try to put any blame on the fact that you were not there when he passed. It was his time and wether or not your were there would have made no difference. It might be better in the long run to not have been there to see it happen. Just keep thinking back to all of the happy times that you had with him. Cherish the lasting memories that you have that nobody can take away from you. I have a 10 year old labarador and believe me whenever someone loses a dog, I know what you must be going through right now. Try to find a memory of a special, goofy, silly time that you had with him and I think that will help you through this.:)

3. Wolf

Wolf No one plans to take the path that brings you lowe

4. starfish99

starfish99 New Member

I'm really sorry about your loss. I've had three very special cats and one dog pass away. The pain can be just as intense as if they had been a person. For me it helped to make a special photo album with all my favorite pictures of them. Also, making a donation to your favorite charity in their name can make you feel better. For the time being go easy on yourself and allow yourself to feel the grief. Only time can ease the grief part.
    hugs

5. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

Some people feel more hurt over their pets then people, which can be normal as pets are humble and innocent compared to people.

:hug: much love :love: You'll get to see your dog back in heaven.

6. Toasty

Toasty Naked people have little or no influence on societ

I've seen coworkers and friends so distraught over lost pets that they call in sick from work for a few days...the depression and mourning can be very strong and real.

Let your mourning occur naturally...

I imagine the little guy is running around in a happy place. :wiggle:

7. Captain Amazing

Captain Amazing OT Supporter

Thanks for the replys. It just seems so empty in our house now. I really miss the little guy. I know what you mean how people can feel more hurt over the loss of a pet rather then a human as they are so innocent and loyal. It felt weird trying to sleep last night because I am used to having him sleep at the end or next to me on my bed. I guess time is the only thing that can heal.

8. Kittyblossom

Kittyblossom A Thousand Shiny Things

I'm very sorry about your loss. I have lost about three dogs in my life, two of which I got at such a young age I don't remember not having them. The empty feeling is always very sad, and going to bed without them there hurt most all, but it gets better over time. Take the time you need and reminisce with those who knew and loved him most, and remember all the things about him that make you smile.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2005