SRS my aunt has schizophrenia and wont take her meds

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Capicu, Jan 20, 2007.

1. Capicu

Capicu New Member

a doctor told her she needs to eat more protein and she came to me asking to get her some protein shakes that i drink.

since she doesn't take her meds, i wanna get the prescription from her psychiatrist and mix it in with chocolate powder and call it protein.

the way i am planning on controlling the dosage is by mixing in the proper dosage with the powders and giving her individual packets (in zip lock bags) every night.

does this sound like a good idea or no?

the problem is that she refuses to take he meds because she claims the psychiatrist wants to make her crazy by giving her pills

2. mrs0323

mrs0323 New Member

Two immediate issues come to mind here.
    1. The doctor is going to want to continue to monitor her progress via blood tests, return office visits, etc. How are you going to explain that to her since in her mind she is not taking any meds?
    2. Certain meds do not interact well with foods-i.e., antibiotics and certain dairy products. I would let her physician know what you plan on doing so he/she can advise you on if there are any foods that are contraindicated being combined with her meds.

Also, please make sure you take care of yourself during this trying time. Being a caretaker for a chronically ill family member can take its toll in ways you can't imagine. I know this after taking care of my aunt with Alzheimers for over 2 years. My heart goes out to you. I have a half-brother who is schizophrenic and refuses any and all therapy. It is heartbreaking and frustrating.

3. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

Definitly talk to the doctor and ask if you can mix the medicines with something else without her noticing it. Im not sure if the food or something else will effect the medicines , sometimes you have to wait half an hour or so before taking anything. So it would be decent to at least give a phonecall to the doctor and ask about this.

4. 7960

7960 New Member

This sounds like an absolutely HORRIBLE idea, and it's probably illegal as well.

DO NOT medicate someone who has chosen not to take meds. NEVER!

5. Capicu

Capicu New Member

shes very very old, i don't know the exact age but i kno its 70 something

the only other option would be to send her to a mental institution because her situation is very serious, and when she was in the hospital from an accident not too long ago, they fed her the medication and she was completely normal.

i need to talk to the psych about this asap

6. 7960

7960 New Member

A hospital/doctor may "feed her" medication, you may NOT. Do NOT medicate her.