My Audio Experience At Fry's

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Ronin, Oct 16, 2005.

1. Ronin

Ronin Guest

So I am with my girlfriends family and they want to go to frys and I figured I can putter around in the Audio section to pass the time and see what the stuff there sounded like.

I go into their Bose room to see what the stuff sounded like when I was actually paying attention. I think the sound system that was going was like 3 grand or something and it was those little lifestyle cubes. Some people in there are demoing them and I'm listening at the same time and I'm like :ugh: It sounded like complete and total garbage, it had no depth whatsoever the only thing it did was fill the room in sound other than that it was the gayest shit i've ever heard, and it was in a acoustic room for christ sakes.

I move onto their more expensive, ie Polk, JBL studio series etc. They also had some beefy subs in there and another couple was being demo'd and it was powered by some beastly monster audio amp. There was probably like 4-5 grand playing some mariah carey shiznit and I'm like :hsugh: I wasn't very impressed, my paradigms seem to have more defintion, the speakers in that room were just plain loud. And over priced.

I finnally get a sales rep to talk to about demoing some JBL E100s (cheap and beefy, looking for something to run a zone 2 section with for a party or something that gets loud pretty easy) I knew more about the speakers then he did :hsugh: Then some guy comes in with a question and I stand by to listen, he says hes been installing pro audio for six years :mb::mb: He says he bought some Klipsch speakers that were last made in 1999 and that he had a bunch of NAD amplifcation running 250 watts per channel and that his 300 dollar polk center couldnt keep up. I'm thinking: :hsugh::ugh: . He wants to run another floorstander for his center to handle the 250 watts of power, except he only wants to spend like 300 bucks :hsugh: And the biggest speaker there was the E100 which is like under 150 RMS. You would think a pro audio installer would see that 250 watts would be a bad idea on most equipment, ESPECIALLY cheap equipment.

If these kinds of fucking morons are working the pro audio business I'm sure my young ass could easily get a job.

Cliffs: Bose has been confirimed as shit, polk and JBL are nothing special, salesman and pro audio people are fucking morons, I think I could probably get a job at a audio shop.

Discuss

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2005
  2. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

my friend's shop has been putting JBL in churches and schools for years, and they swear by it... and the few i've expirenced, i'd have to say did a great job.

3. NisAznMonk

NisAznMonk New Member

JBL is nice. Its gets the job done and usually isn't very expensive. I wouldn't swear by it, but I'd pick it up if there was a deal going on.

4. bearsdidit

bearsdidit OT Supporter

jbl makes a decent speaker for the price

5. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

i've always like JBL stuff. i personally run polk towers, center, and powered sub. (i have energy surrounds) on a yamaha receiver. i love my setup. anyways, i know what you mean by the "pro audio" guys. when i worked at the car stereo shop, i used to love going into CC/BB and EE (electronic express, a local owned chain) and testing the knowledge. probably dickheadish, but it was always fun. if you want a job in that stuff, go speak to the manager, demonstrate your knowledge without "threatening" his intelligence, and you can usually get in

6. twistid

i'm talking pro audio, not home audio. jbl is pretty well built stuff, and can take a lot of abuse in the pro audio world... the product stays out, and that's what matters.

as for home audio i run wharfedale for my speakers, and an 18 year old akai receiver(one day i'll upgrade, but i have not found the right one just yet).

7. twistid

i used to do that, then one shop told me "let's see what you know". so i got put in a shop with a guy who had been installing for 32 years, 19 there. now i'm the installer(he retired,and got his band back together), and i get to play with the know-it-all e-experts. :rofl:

8. NisAznMonk

NisAznMonk New Member

Well I go in for a drug test on tuesday for a local Circuit City. I'm gonna have to :x: and hope that I can read up enough on technical data to defend myself :). I know more than the idiots in the car audo sales dept, but I RELLY hope I don't get a guy like you. I have no idea what I'd do :wtc:

9. twistid

i don't know about CC's, but used to the BB's would not let the employees read trade mags at work. so if you get the job... here you go, http://www.me-mag.com/ read it at home.

10. Ronin

Ronin Guest

:werd: I just expecting a little bit more, perhaps it was the music I was listening to, I wasnt prepared to go there so I didnt have a test CD on me or anything, I might retest the JBLs in the future using a test CD. (gotta get some bass going)

11. SilverJettaGLX

SilverJettaGLX OT Supporter

My 2 cents..

Thier listening rooms are better than Best Buy (which unless you coun't stores with mini Mag's) The best speaker line they cary are the Polk LSi's which can't be driven well by most anything Fry sells do to thier 4ohm load. Thier regular price on most HK gear is pretty high aside from the occasional sale. Even then Id probably avoid HK due to reliablility issues. I did hear they recently started to stock Velodyne, but probably just the lower models not the digital drive series. The ignorant people that work there are probably the worst part of entire experience.

12. Ronin

Ronin Guest

yeah they had a bunch of velodyne subs there, no DD though, they had a DLS-5000R and some like 400 dollar range and under stuff

13. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

eh, it's few and far between that you get the dickheads like us. i went from install/sales/mgmnt at a small shop to install at CC, and blew away everyone. some of the sales guys weren't too bad tho. best advice i have is find out as much as you can about the most popular cars in your area. CC does ALOT of sercurity, so find out as much as you can about that, and learn all about the DEI products. Learn your bypass modules for factory security. Also video was kinda popular in my store. remember most any GM from 02 on will use a 555L/556L and '04 on also uses 455G/456G (don't worry you'll learn what those are) oh, and the IT training is bullshit, and boring. it's like 2 or 3 days of Circuit Shitty....yada yada yada.....we lick balls and so forth