GUN My attempt at Glock Love (Failure inside)

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by phrozenlikwid, Jun 13, 2008.

1. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

So Yar's talk about making a Glock into a widebody 1911 left me thinking about my latest Glock project:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This was my second effort at liking Glocks (my first being a G21... which was a bad place to start). The frame was chopped/stippled/cut/grinded, and molested into what you see above.
    I also shortened the grip to take 19 mags (which I love... it's the perfect size IMO), added Heinies, Vickers mag release, various weight guide rods, and a plethora of different triggers. I imagine Gaston Glock is probably stroking out as we speak. All was in an attempt to make the gun fit me better, and to achieve that elusive "perfection" that Gaston promised me. I think Glocks are great mechanically, and suck ergonomically (they don't fit my hands, specifically the backstrap/grip angle); the logistics of them is largely unbeatable (which is what keeps drawing me back to them).

So after all that, I was left with a cool pistol that I didn't really like (CZ's are better:noes:). So I got rid of it. Traded it off today for a Kimber (Pretty much :greddy:, as I don't really even care for Kimbers).

I was curious about the CCF raceframes:
    http://www.ccfraceframes.com/advantage.php

As they show a metal Glock frame with an 1911'ish backstrap, and that idea intrigues me greatly. Unfortunately, I haven't found anyone who will endorse them (and even a few who don't like them). Bummer, as I think the concept is sound.

So, I ask you guys... Who worships at the alter Gaston built? Fess' up, and post some pics. Specifically, if any of you have any trick frame mods, or have used the CCF stuff, show me. I want to know about it, because I've tried to like Glocks.... but it just ain't working.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2008
  2. The only mod to my carry Glock is a 21# recoil spring. It fits my hand well, and I don't have any complaints.

3. Keesh

Keesh New Member

I'm a big fan of Glocks but I can totally understand why they just don't work for some people. Mine took about 1000 rounds to get me to love it. Mine is bone stock and I intend to keep it that way (minus the sights). I definitely don't enjoy shooting Glocks like I do a nice 1911 but the grip angle works well for me and I can shoot straight and quickly with it.

[​IMG]

4. Keesh

Keesh New Member

Sorry for the huge pic :o I'm not on my computer and that's the only one I have uploaded.

5. Photobucket lets you resize your pics online.

6. Keesh

Keesh New Member

Done, thanks :cool:

7. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

[​IMG]

I left some of the hump to the backstrap as I need to still have it point like a glock. I like the steeper angle of the glock as it gives you more mechanical leverage. I think the angle of the 1911 is wrong (that's just me). anyway we can remove almost all of the hump and make it flat. I had the finger grooves wacked off, and the grip is thinned so it's is slimmer. Helps me hit the mag button without shifting my grip. this finish is with aluminum oxide that is epoxied on. It's just the right amount of grit and does not flak off.

[​IMG]

This is the other version which is done with a special checkering tip on a sodering iron. Sorry for the shitty cell phone pic, this is another customer gun. We do this texture for a number of cops as it's less aggressive than the aluminum oxide so it doesn't print when they CCW off duty. On this one we also left some hump as this particular cop had real big hands.

8. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

Although I in no way endorse changing anything on a Glock but the sights, I have heard nothing but good things about the CCF race frames in both SS and aluminum. I played with a G17 on the SS, it was definitely heftier than stock but not ridiculous. Recoil, as you might imagine, was nil.

If you're going to fuck with it, might as well go hog-wild.

9. AB13

AB13 New Member

From what I've read about the CCF, it's not been exactly been glowing reviews. I've heard of stories of canted slides, and having to modify the block to accept certain barrels.

Ask Yar what he thinks of them.

As for wanting a wide body 1911, don't half step it, if you want a wide body 1911 get a 2011 STI or SVI. That's like trying to make a Pontiac Fierro a Ferrari.

A glock is a glock, you either like it or you don't.

10. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Yar said that he wasn't a fan of them, but didn't specify why. That's the first I've heard about improper machining. I heard some grumbling, but couldn't tell if it was a legitimate bitch, or just people opposed to the idea of changing a Glock.

I want to like Glocks because of the cheap/ubiquitousness of them. Like I was saying, the logistics of Glocks are damn near impossible to beat. Cheap magazines, cheap parts, and the ability to mix/match parts without fitting them (all via economies of scale). I can shoot a Glock fairly well, but it's unnatural to me. Probably a training issue from growing up with 1911's and their ilk, but I have a hard time justifying learning one weapons system and then sucking for ever other one (which is what starts to happen when I shoot Glocks a lot). So I'm not trying to "make it a 2011", I'm trying to see what people were doing to reshape the frame to better suit them. A 2011 was mentioned as Yar stated that his companies grip reductions made it feel something like that, which excited me as that's a known (and liked) quantity 'round here.

Besides, it's only plastic. What's the worst that can happen?:rofl:

11. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Go do a search on CCF raceframe on brian enos forum under the glock forum. It is not that I am not a fan of them. I strait up do not recomend them. Glockworx will not build a gun on them because of issues with the frame.

12. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Nah, I read between the lines and caught what was going on. Apparently I had been searching in the wrong areas for reviews.

13. AB13

AB13 New Member

Yeah trust me. I'm Flip (Filipino), so if there's a cheaper way of getting it done, trust me, I've explored it.

And you are not alone about transitioning to other guns. I found that I shot the Glock very well, if all I shot and trained with is the Glock. There was a year were all i shot was a glock and I did very well with it competitively. But I found when I tried to shoot anything else, I suffered with my accuracy.

I had to work hard to maintain that level of performance with my glock because my natural point of aim changed. But I like to tinker, and I like to try different things. The 1911 for me points more naturally and was more versatile, with the exception that I sometimes gave up that "reliability". But it's not a big deal as I primarily apply it towards competitive shooting.

When the shit hits the fan, I grab my Glock. When I wanna have fun, I grab my metal guns.

Glocks are like that girl you have to bring home early, and wait until the 3rd date to kiss. 1911's are the high maintenance girls that are straight freaks in bed, but are raging maniacs any other time. :rofl:

I still love all 4 of my Glocks. But my bottom bitch for now are my 1911's. :mamoru:

14. sprite

sprite Active Member

The thread has drifted a little but Robar is building complete Glock "clones" their calling "Alloy Extreme" if your interested.