MIL My ASVAB scores

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by sublime, Nov 5, 2005.

1. sublime

sublime New Member

Hey -- took this prolly around 3 years ago. Found it buried somewhere and it got me thinking..

but first off I'd like to see how well I fare

Academic Ability - 87 89
    Verbal Ability - 97 95
    Math Ability - 78 80

Word Knowledge 91 89
    Paragraph Comprehension 98 96
    Arithmetic Reasoning 74 82
    Mathmatics Knowledge 81 76
    General Science 86 94
    Auto & Shop Information 43 81
    Mechanical Comprehension 66 91
    Electronics Information 89 99
    Numerical Operations 73 56
    Coding Speed 98 94

ASVAB Codes - 2, 1
    Military Career Scores 215

Im hesitant to call a recruiter for the obvious reasons -- so guys how are the scores and what could I look forward to? I would either want to do something involving Air Force or a Sharpshooter.

Thanks

2. sublime

sublime New Member

fwiw, I know the recruiters ask about drug use and frankly I've done it all, hasnt made me stupid but I would much rather not have to lie if I dont need to.

My buddy went to the recruiter and he asked straight up, and honestly, how many times have you done drugs in your life? My buddy says over 1,000 times and they told him the 'Air Force wasnt for him, try the marines." Hahahahaha.

Just dont want that to happen to me.

3. RibeyeAndScotch

RibeyeAndScotch OT Supporter

Its really a moral issue on the drugs. The only way for them to know, is if you tell them.

Also, i hear the asvab scores only last 2 years. If you want to enlist, you'd have to retake the asvab.

4. sublime

sublime New Member

I was figuring the ASVAB would no longer be valid but I assume the scoring system is still the same and I'm pretty certain I would test near to what I got last time. Knowing admitting drug use would affect a security clearance I wouldnt admit to that. Dont want to hurt myself in ANY way possible.

5. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

This one's better: http://forums.offtopic.com/showthread.php?t=1938678&post#6 :wiggle:

Sublime - you bring into the military the same thing you arrive with. No matter where you go, you will always be there. If drugs are a major part of your life, I would sincerely suggest a different career. You can get access to drugs easier and cheaper (depending on where you are stationed) in the military. But you will be tested often and randomly for it. And the consequences for drug use, both legal and physical, can be huge.

If you can get to a point where you haven't done drugs for months and aren't around people that do, then I would say the military might be an option. But not until that happens. I know when I was in, I despised drug users. They made my job more dangerous, and they were an embarrassment to the uniform.

6. sublime

sublime New Member

I dont do drugs anymore -- it was mostly high school fun. Occasionally drink or smoke but that could easily be given up -- im more curious about what my options would be if I choose to enlist -- im assuming Air Force is not possible?

I didnt want this thread to be about drugs, I'm just not comfortable lying to someone when a career is involved.

7. sublime

sublime New Member

For example,

ASVAB Codes 2, 1
    Military Careers Scores 215

WTF does this mean? I assume 2 and 1 are either branches or more specific about where you could placed?

8. Ranger-AO

Air Force is possible. Like someone said earlier, they know what you tell them. I would tell them the truth. You never have to remember what you told them, that way.

When I joined, I was asked the same question at the end of MEPS. I told them that I had smoked pot during christmas break two years prior. I held a Secret security clearance.

Back to ASVAB. :)
    Your scores might improve this time around. Mine improved a LOT the second time I took it. But that was over 20 years after the first time. :mamoru:

9. Ranger-AO

That's all greek to me. Read through the link I posted above. Do your ASVAB results look anything like what's on the post I linked?

My ASVAB results are here: http://www.certifiedcomputing.com/otpics/ASVAB_penny.jpg

The categories on yours should have some similarity to mine. Your Composite Scores are used to qualify you to be trained in a specific job, so your ASVAB results should have your Composite Scores somewhere on the paper.

10. Accord

Accord New Member

If you say you've never done drugs before and you join, then many years later you want to lat move to another MOS or go on a special duty or something that requires a top secret clearance, they will find out that you used to heavily use drugs when you originally said you didn't and you could be slapped with a fraudulent enlistment charge where they'd throw you out with a dishonorable discharge, make you pay back any and all bonuses, etc. and you could face jail time.

Just be honest, if you casually smoked pot during Christmas a few years ago or something then be honest, even if you were a heavy drug user and are 100% disqualified from joining, you can still get in on a drug waiver as long as you've been clean for X number of years and you might have to attend some drug program or something to show that you know you had a problem and you took steps to change your life and all that crap that a board would like to see.

If worse comes to worse and every branch turns you down, you'll definitely be able to join the army, they're the only branch that needs you more than you need them.

11. RibeyeAndScotch

RibeyeAndScotch OT Supporter

oh cmon man. The army is just as qualified as the marines. We dont need this crap here.

12. Accord

Accord New Member

I'm just saying, the army is the only branch with recruiting problems right now, so they would be more inclined to approve a drug waiver as opposed to some of the other branches that have people lining up around the block to join that don't need any waivers.

13. TRN

TRN Well-Known Member

I never was told my score. lol

My recruiter was given the boot after he got a poolie prego so I never heard back from him.
    About a year later I get a call from his replacement doing follow-ups. He sucked just as much.

14. kidhero

kidhero not really a hero, really just a big fat phony

If you don't want to lie and you honestly tell your Marine recruiter that you've done a lot of drugs in the past, the better ones would refuse you service and refer you to the Navy where they are more tolerant of devious behavior considering they are on a ship for 9 out of the 12 months so you can't get in trouble.

I know for a fact that in our recruiting station smoking pot more than twice means you're not enlisting through us.