My assessment of Volkswagen customer service...

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Redline Racer, Apr 17, 2003.

1. Redline Racer

Redline Racer Subaru Tecnica International

...appalling, quite literally appalling.

This week has really brought home to me just how poorly Volkswagen is willing to treat its customers. This might just be limited to the dealership I use, but right now its casting doubt in my mind over continuing to own a VW.
    Basically on Tuesday I decided I wanted a rear-spoiler for the Polo. Been toying with the idea for a while, and then just decided. I choose the official VW spoiler, knowing it looks good and will be a quality item.

So I went to the local VW dealership. Took about 10 minutes for anyone to come to the parts desk. It took him another 10 minutes to find the part number, and tell me it was going to cost £139.01 ($220) :eek3: Double what I expected it to be. Seen as I was already there, I bought it. The guy told me it would be on thursday (today), and took my phone number saying they would ring when it was in.

Today, no phone call, and seen as I was going past the dealership I called in. Another 10 minute wait for someone to come to the desk, and to be told yes the spoiler was in.
    I then asked about painting and fitting, to be told that they didnt have an on site paint-shop, but had one on the other side of town. The guy didnt offer directions, didnt offer to phone them for a quote didnt even offer me the phone number. At that point I decided to take the spoiler and leave, before I told the parts guy where to stick it.

This has just really annoyed me, but its not the first time. When a oil-pressure sensor failed, they ordered the wrong replacement part in. Then once it was fitted they managed to leave a screwdriver under the bonnet.
    At the moment I certainly will not be buying another Volkswagen from that dealership, maybe not another VW at all. Which is a shame as the car itself is great.

Cliff notes : Bad VW customer service. Me = unhappy

2. TriShield

TriShield Super Moderator® Super Moderator

Sounds like this particular dealership provides poor service.

There usually a few bad dealerships in every auto brand, but they can really ruin the ownership experience.

3. MB300E87

MB300E87 Active Member

i don't even have to read your story to agree with you. VW dealers are notoriously horrible.

4. capcrnch

capcrnch Active Member

I agree, dealerships suck to deal with..
    But keep in mind, they are independent reps of VW.. VW customer service is a seperate entity. So if you hae a problem with them, get to another dealer or get to customer relations for some help!
    This probably wont help, but the US # for customer relations is 800-822-8987

5. Chris87

Chris87 flatoutperformance.com

:werd:

I've had experience with basically every major VW dealership across western Canada and i can honestly say without exageration that they are all fucking garbage, but the one in my hometown takes the cake.

My local dealership here in town told me they never wanted me to come back and that i wasn't welcome there. This was after they damaged my hood and roof, and charged me 1hrs work for replacement of 1 easily accessable bolt. :mad: I went in there nicely and told them they will have to do something about it. They didn't want to and after them telling me i wasn't welcome back, i told them i was going to spread the word about their dealership to everyone i know, all across the internet, etc....and i did, and still am. :fawk:

It got to the point where over 2000 vwvortexer's read my story, and over 100 of them emailed the dealership expressing their disgust for the way they treated me. :big grin:

I had a warrenty related issue and i had to take it into my local dealerhip (b/c we only have one in town). VWoA forced the dealership to do work on my car. :rofl:

I hate those Son's of Bitches @ VW Center of Saskatoon

6. FryingPan

FryingPan Certified Thread Killer

Am I the only person that is satisfied with their VW dealership? :dunno:

7. Chris87

Chris87 flatoutperformance.com

8. Redline Racer

Its not rice, its a genuine VW part to be fitted to all models below the GTi version of the Polo. According to the box it came in its an "optical enhancement for the rear of the car".
    And anyway, I have the true performance of the STi to cancel out any rice effect from fitting the spoiler to the Polo.

9. T-T

T-T Born Into Retirement

A few steps you could have taken were the following.

1) Never pay untill you receive and inspect the item.

2) Bargain for 10% off or so, service marks up their parts by 20-30%.

3) Inquire about installation/painting before you buy it and pay for it.

They're low wage donkeys sitting behind the desk tapping away at an old 486, they have no reason to be helpfull really. I would however, ask to speak to the Service/Parts manager and file a complaint.

10. bobo

bobo Something Something....

nope, i just didn't want to jack his thread.

11. MB300E87

MB300E87 Active Member

i've been to the four VW dealers in my area and they are all terrible. all owned by separate people and they all hate each other as well... funny because they are all so alike.

12. vw16vcabby

vw16vcabby New Member

vw dealers=:teh ghey: Seriously, buy used, buy aftermarket, just dont go to the dealer. I never had a good transaction w/ a vw dealer, either on a personal purchase or a business purchase. they either mark up too high, get you the wrong part, or are straight up dicks.

I have way to many stealership stories, i could be here a while... Hence why i work on my own stuff. But it sucks when you have to get dealer only items....

13. perfektrtw

perfektrtw Active Member

VW dealers are horrible. I went to the local one here to go and look at the 1.8T GTIs... this black guy comes up, and hes like... "Well, when we see someone looking in our cars, we think "What are they doing?"... I ask him for a brosure for the GTI, and he just says "Well, most of our customers, are on the internet and know everything anyway... so uhh, do you have the internet?" I told him yes... and so hes like "Well good, I guess you don't need my help then." And he just walked off. :rolleyes:

Last time I willfully step foot on a VW dealer, and the last time I ever consider buying a VW. :)

14. Redline Racer

Update...

Spoke to another dealership today about painting and fitting. Its taken me since thursday to get someone from there to give me a quote for it. Granted it was Easter though.

And I realise why they've been reluctant to tell me. To paint and fit it would be £325. Thats $513. :eek3: The spoiler itself was only $220.

So its looking like it'll be getting painted and fitted by an independent bodyshop.

15. TriShield

TriShield Super Moderator® Super Moderator

That's dealerships for you. [​IMG]