A&P My artwork

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by david1991, Mar 15, 2008.

1. david1991

david1991 New Member

2. strubbe

strubbe New Member

3. free_notes

free_notes New Member

your technique demands more practice and rigor. i feel like these are just quick sketches to work out an idea for a much larger project.

how much have you studied falling water in depth, or the history/complexities of perspective drawing? your linework needs more attention to craft and lineweight.

art is not merely a visual representation of what is in physical reality. i have no idea what you were thinking or that you struggled with obstacles in any of your pieces. i'd like to know what you were thinking about while you were making them, or what you specifically like/enjoy about each piece.

4. david1991

david1991 New Member

well first i should let you know that i made these my freshman year in hs without any training at all. i didnt really know what i was doing while i was making these but my fav is falling water even though it is just sort of an outline. so your saying i should in the future i should pay more attention to linework? what other suggestions?

5. Spurious

Spurious New Member

You're joking, right?

6. free_notes

free_notes New Member

craft. period. you don't seem to have a direction and are just working on technique. your art is inlcusive and internal, and not meant to communicate any ideas.

there was a sculptor who was classically trained and decided he wanted to make a piece out of wood of a horse. instead of looking at pictures of a horse and getting to work on a block of wood, he spent many years researching the anatomy of horses, studying their gait and their character. what makes a horse, a horse? only when he was comfortable enough with his knowledge of horses did he begin carving the block, beginning an incredible series of horse sculptures and paintings for the rest of his life.

if you're looking for specific art criticism, not being an art instructor i can't tell you what to work on. take an art class an receive formal training. read art books and think about what makes a piece successful. there are many aspects of your work that, as i said, demand a rigorous pursuit which is not demonstrated in your work. craft includes most of what i mentioned: lineweights and the relationship of lines to each other, shading technique is another, etc. but doesn't include sensibility, which must also be developed for art to be effective/powerful. sensibilities are only developed through research, experience, and open discussion of ideas.

7. OneTwo

OneTwo me>you OT Supporter

im sorry man, but these are HORRIBLE. If this were in the main, you would be slaughtered with :rofl: to no end...

I dont mean to offend you, but you definatly CAN NOT draw.

these are just :hsugh:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. c0ldf1ame

c0ldf1ame New Member

so does that mean you have more recent/better work? dont be discouraged, when i look back at stuff i did in highschool i want to burn it.

As for improvements, your technique is not strong, and you are oversimplifying what you see. For most people, when they see something, they tend to over simplify, probably in order to save processing power haha, because if you truely noticed every single detail in everything you see, u'd probably be overwhelmed. But this reaction is bad for artists, because if you say and egg, most people will just draw an oval, that makes for bad art. Next time, pick up and egg and look at the texture on the shell, look at how light plays off the surface. If you put it down on the counter, look at the shadow it casts, its probably not 1 shade, but is darker around where the egg touches the counter, and probably fades out to a lighter shadow around its rim. Also u can probably see how the egg isnt the darkest near the bottom but somewhere around the middle, and light is bouncing off the counter and reflecting on the egg. Anyways thats just an example, when you draw something you need to note the little details to make it more realistic, such as surface contour, lighting, textures, etc

hope that helps

9. MSTRBKR

MSTRBKR New Member

This has just brightened up my life :rofl:

10. flipflop

flipflop flippity flop flippity flop

bHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

11. aCab

aCab New Member

I smell troll.

12. DRAIGON

DRAIGON New Member