GUN My anvil arms experience

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Soybomb, Jun 8, 2008.

1. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I don't want to make this a really huge write up or be one of those people that posts pages of email transcripts but I wanted to share my recent experience with Anvil Arms. I frequently praise and recommend vendors who have served me well and I feel like Anvil Arms has joined the ranks of my other couple bad experiences with vendors.

Some time ago I ordered 3 stripped lower receivers from anvil arms, one with an engraving. The engraving was to be text and provided in the PDF format they asked for exported from Illustrator CS2. During the early part of the order process things were some small hitches but nothing I couldn't overlook. They lost the emailed in copy of my FFL the first time, I believe I nearly got my receiver without engraving as well but saved myself that hassle by reminding them of it. John at AA seems like a busy guy and I can understand being swamped and there being some confusion. I'll take a little to help the little guy out.

The receivers came in and they look good, finish and machining. I have no complaints there. My real problem was that the engraving was not the font I had selected but a different font. I emailed about it and feel as though I was given the run around being told they've been doing a lot of engraving, they can't find the PDF file, when I sent it again it wouldn't open, etc. He made it clear that he believed the work was close enough and that I should be fine with it. I don't think thats any more reasonable to hear from him than a tattoo artist.

John did offer to replace my receiver but I asked if he could just give me a little refund. I asked if he would give me a partial refund since I didn't care to pay another $30 transfer fee for a new receiver and the hassle of going back and forth to my FFL with the illinois waiting period. I asked him what he thought was fair and suggested that I thought it would be nice if he just picked up the shipping and credit card fees on the order, $24.45.

His reply indicated he felt that was excessive because the font wasn't "exactly correct." We exchanged a few emails where he told me that he didn't think he should have to take a loss because 25% off a receiver would be below his costs. I reminded him that I bought 3 receivers, not 1 and that either way I think part of doing business is that sometimes you might take a small loss when you screw up. That small loss now might mean the customer will buy again and tell his friends to buy again.

Eventually we agreed that our emails might have become a bit gruff toward the other. He said to send him my credit card info and he'd give me some refund, no problem. I sent him my information and said to send whatever he felt was appropriate. That was April 22. He responded and said he needed my security code and billing address again too. I sent those on April 24. I emailed him May 5th and said I still hadn't seen anything.

He told me he never got it and to mail him my mailing address and he'd cut me a check. I did on May 7th and he replied on May 8th that he received my address. Since then I've received nothing. I emailed him again on May 23rd and June 3rd telling him such and have received no such responses.

Take from this story what you will. I think the anvil arms receiver is a fine product, however my experience with their engraving and customer service makes me strongly advise people to shop elsewhere. I wanted to give them the benefit of the doubt and say its a small shop with an overworked guy trying his best but I feel as though I've been lied to and they have no interest in customer service.

Along these same lines I'd like to recommend Aim Surplus. I've bought a ton of things from them over the years and have always received fantastic customer service from them. If they make a mistake they are eager and happy to make it right. They're selling stripped ar15 lower receivers for $80 and don't charge a credit card surcharge. I sure wish I could go back and do it all over again, save $70 on my order at AIM and find someone else to do the engraving with the spare money.

2. lobstradomus

lobstradomus New Member

Thanks for the heads up on AA, and I agree AIM is great. I ordered 2 Sig P6 pistols from AIM and despite customs holding up the shipment (entirely not AIM's fault) everything went great.

3. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

Good to let people know, one way or the other :hsd:

4. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Its all a relatively minor issue but all I'm looking for is for someone to say "sorry, we screwed up, here's a little something just to thank you for your business and that you're a valued customer." Even saying nothing is better than outright lying though.

ceetee at THR reports roughly the same experience with anvil arm's "winging" it with their own art file instead of using the one provided to them and them not feeling like they had to make it right on their dime.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2008
  5. Aequitas

Aequitas If it keeps on raining, levee's going to break.

It's funny how far a little customer service can go. It's the reason I shop online at the same place for all my scuba gear, even if it costs a little more (which it usually doesn't since they'll price match and give a 10% discount to members of their forum.) It's nice to know that if anything happens where I do need to deal with customer service I'll be alright. Same reason I switched from wearing Oakley's to wearing Costa Del Mars.

Thanks, Soy, for the write up. I like hearing about situations like this be because I don't mind paying a little extra for piece of mind. These days when people can go online and find whatever you're selling for cheaper, it's all about customer service.

6. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

thats pretty fucked up that he said you should be fine with it, even though its not what you wanted :ugh2:

7. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I don't want to put words in his mouth, I'll give you some quotes and let you decide.

"Had I known in advance that the exact font was imperative I would have
    delayed lasering until you could be contacted. "

"$24.45 refund because the font is not exactly correct?"

Perhaps I'm spoiled by some of my design background and I should be fine with any font but I don't think its unreasonable to expect exactly what you sent in if you provide them with the art file they're requested. If I asked him to just engrave some text and listed it in my email it would be different.

8. Aequitas

:rofl: That's just bad.

9. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I plan on posting this at arfcom soon where he is a paying vendor. Want to guess what that thread will be like? :rofl:

10. Aequitas

:rofl: Be sure to post the link here.

I can't believe the guy would practically say that he didn't really care about getting the image right, only that it was close to be right.

I had some tshirts made not too long ago for a club that I'm the chairman of and we did business with a place online that you can upload your own images to. Not only did they go back over the image to make sure everything lined up properly, but they called to check on what fonts I wanted and if I wanted them to try to match a font in one of the pictures, then they emailed the image that was going to be on the shirt and got my verbal approvale before printing. Really makes you appreciate good customer service.

11. Silver96Firebird

Silver96Firebird New Member

Pics of what you wanted vs. what you got?

12. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Don't care that much. Make a text file, put one in the font you want. Now put it in a font you dont want and think of me telling you its close enough. My font of choice was century gothic, I believe the font I got was the dreadfully over used Arial. You may or may not care about fonts. In a past life I used to do newspaper layout and design, these are things I notice and care about.

13. Keesh

Keesh New Member

That's too bad that it worked out that way. You paid for a custom engraving, you should get it how you wanted it.

14. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

15. AustinL911

AustinL911 Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator

[​IMG]

It is close, but I agree with you. It's not what you asked for.

You provided the format THEY asked for. They ignored it. Then told you it should be close enough. amirite?

And I was thinking about having a lower engraved by them as well. Glad to hear I should look elsewhere.

16. Skot281??

Skot281?? New Member

17. GlobeGuy

GlobeGuy New Member

18. Sardaukar

Sardaukar Active Member

Is it me or did your thread get moved twice?

19. Keesh

Keesh New Member

I clicked on it once and thought I was redirected to the first one :rofl:

20. Willie J

Willie J New Member

21. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Its has started a fantastic voyage that will be full of adventure and wonder.

22. Aequitas

23. bigboostdsm

bigboostdsm New Member

24. Keesh

Keesh New Member

What's up with the two blank posts at the bottom? Or can I just not see them for some reason?

25. GarandBobcat

GarandBobcat New Member

just members subscribing to the thread to keep track of updates. That one of them is Site Staff does not bode well, though it's not the automatic kiss of death.