my AMD. Slower FPS than it should?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by cdog, Mar 15, 2005.

1. cdog

cdog Guest

Hey guys..

Here's the system.

mobo : epox - EP-8RDA+
    cpu : AMD XP2100
    memory : 1gig
    vcard : ATI radeon 9800pro 128mb

When I play raven shield people tell me that with my video card and the set up I have I should be getting around 200 fps (frames per second).

I'm averaging around 40. Any ideas on what could be up with this?

Now my cpu does run really hot. Usually around 65 degrees, BUT when I play the game I run a box fan on it and it runs at average 45 degrees.

I don't know what's going on [​IMG] Could it be my monitor not being able to handle more than that many fps?

2. Dominion

Dominion I believe you have my stapler.

Not like you'd be able to tell the difference at 200. At 60+ fps you won't be able to tell the difference. Unless your a smart ass know it all, then apparently you can tell. Anyways, what kind of memory is in the system, do you have the latest drivers, do you have thermal paste on the processor to keep it cool? If your using the tape get rid of that shit, even if you put some on awhile back, redo the paste, even the best stuff will go away after awhile (you should redo artic silver once every 6months to once a year, depending on how lazy you are)

3. cdog

cdog Guest

1 stick of 512 pc2700
    1 stick of 256ddr
    and 1 stick 256 of i don't even know

4. cdog

cdog Guest

ahhh ok :(

what should I buy? It's obviously time for an upgrade lol

5. cdog

cdog Guest

I don't wanna spend more than 400

6. cdog

cdog Guest

7. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

don't get the abit. If you want a via chipset, then grab an Asus A8V. Otherwise, grab an MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum.

8. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

uh, have you ever actually USED any of those boards???

9. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

the asus board is the exact same chipset, and has a MUCH better track record in terms of reliability. In fact, abit ranks quite low in terms of stability/reliability out-of-box. Furthermore, pretty much every benchmark I've seen from trustworthy sources puts the K8N Neo2 Platinum ahead of the Via chipsets in terms of performance.

I made a post a while back with a list of "do's" and "dont's" in the pc-purchasing market... Abit is on the "dont's" list... unless you really need it for a very specific reason... which is not present, here.

10. Muchacho_Gasolino

Muchacho_Gasolino New Member

just buy a Neo2 Platinum, a socket 939 AMD64 3000+, and a 512x2 kit of corsair valueram 3200