My 6 month old Mazda MX5

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by Oman4x4, Jan 2, 2010.

1. Oman4x4

Oman4x4 OT Supporter

I've not been on OT for a while now... just been too busy... anyway back in June '09 I picked up a brand new MX5 Mazda PRHT (folding hard top) - and thought I'd share some pictures with you guys... (still got the red Jeep)

It's a 2.0L engine, 6 speed manual gearbox, Rear Wheel Drive, OEM Limited Slip rear diff and HUGE amounts of fun.

It was one of the last first-generation cars available (only 20 in Dubai!) and the second generation cars with the facelift are only automatic gearboxes here. Because of the quantities Mazda is selling here, we don't get a choice! Didn't want the Auto so jumped on the last of the manuals.

If you enjoy driving and have never had the chance to drive an MX5 on a twisty country road - you're missing out. The agility you get from a light weight car with good weight balance and sharp steering is just brilliant fun :)

If you can live with the small size, it's HIGHLY recommended. :)

Straight out of the showroom without changing a thing - I take it on road trips, auto-crossing, and drive it every day. Love every minute of it :)

On our local autocross go-kart-track days I'm doing times like 1:44 when the modified Mitsubishi Evo's with more experienced drivers are doing 1:42 - for a stock RWD car I'm very happy with that. Mustangs, S2000s, 350Zs, etc. are all quite a lot slower :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Oman4x4

Oman4x4 OT Supporter

One of my favourite roads in the region... hidden away in the mountains and finishes at the beach - it continues through the mountains like this for 40 km - with over 200 corners :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. bro

bro New Member

4. Oman4x4

Oman4x4 OT Supporter

Chicks so far all LOVE it... nicely finished inside... clean... different... fun... and as soon as the roof goes back ==> :eek3: :naughty:

But no you're right... I mean... I should totally trade it in and get a Mustang or Camaro or Challenger or something... you know... cars that GUYS are impressed by... that's much less :greddy:

Best thing about a "chicks car"? Chicks like it. :bigthumb:

5. bro

bro New Member

looks like it has just enough room to store your tampons

6. heyskippy

heyskippy New Member

Nice car. No doubt it's a lot of fun to drive and folding metal roofs make the best convertibles.

7. Oman4x4

Oman4x4 OT Supporter

This one's actually plastic panels - keeps the weight down :naughty:

Most of the additional weight on the folding hard top stems from the actual motor mechanisms, and the addition of the motorised tonnau which the PRHT doesn't have... not the top itself. :)

And it's heaps of fun :)

8. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

Not a fan of the new Miata, but I always liked the older ones.

No shame in liking your car, unless you bought a bright pink one or something haha. Then there might be some shame involved.

A lot of guys tend to think a small car is a girls car, and I drive a pretty freaking small car too (AW11 MR2). I just let them talk, and still enjoy every minute of driving my car.

[​IMG]

9. Toxicity

Toxicity New Member

nice car brah, needs turbah

10. ldaggerl

ldaggerl New Member

Nice car, nver been huge into them (not a fan of smaller cars for that matter really) but they look like they will handle amazingly. Should lower it throw some rims on it and get a turbo or super charger kit on it and it will sure be go kart like lol.

11. Oman4x4

Oman4x4 OT Supporter

Already goes like a Go-kart :)

The Mazdaspeed bodykit is already on it's way to the Middle East so that'll visually lower things about an inch - after that I'll check my clearance and decide on whether I want to actually lower the suspension. Someone bumped my front bumper so I decided to upgrade.

If I do lower it - it'll be the Mazdaspeed springs which will drop it 34 mm. I just wanna check ground clearance after the Mazdaspeed bumper is on. Mazdaspeed Swaybars will also limit body roll.

When these new tires wear out I'll possibly look at some 18" rims for the next set... so far I'm liking the look of the Mazda optional 18s from europe... but trying to find more angles / pictures before I decide.

[​IMG]

As far as power goes... the Cosworth Supercharger is very tempting - along with all the other Cosworth upgrades available like the forged internals and the cylinder head and so on... but honestly I quite like it the way it is... being "underpowered" means you have to work hard at it - and that's where the fun is.

At the same time - I look at the grand-total price of all the engine modifications and figure that it's easily 25% of an SVT Ford Raptor.

Without a shadow of doubt I would rather put that money towards the SVT Raptor as a third vehicle.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yeah... I think the Cosworth parts can wait :big grin:

12. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

My dad has a 2007 MX-5. Nice damn car -- not as nice as my 2009 RX-8, but it does have the drop-top. The OEM tires were awful, though, but some Michelin Pilots fixed that.

Good point about the chick car thing -- the Miata might be a chick car, but I'm not looking to suck penis, so I don't really care if dudes like it or not.

So what's your gig that you live in the M.E. and you get to play in the desert?

13. Oman4x4

Oman4x4 OT Supporter

Yup I toasted the original Bridgestone RFT's inside of 6 months... I now carry a repair kit and CO2 cannisters for inflation, and enjoy shredding some much more cost effective Hankook tires :)

They grip very well as it turns out! Takes more effort to go sideways.

RX8's are great cars. Not sold here officially unfortunately... but I really like what they've achieved with that vehicle. Done a proper job of taking a sports coupe and making it work for 4 people.

I moved to the Middle East about 11 years ago now... went to school here in a country called Oman (hence the username)... grew up here... went back to England for University. Hated the cold weather and came back to the Middle East after graduating.

Been working in Dubai for a couple years now and absolutely loving it :) Head to the desert, track or mountain roads almost every weekend.

14. deusexaethera

It seems like some interesting territory to romp around in, especially the mountains in Fujairah, but I'm not sure how I'd deal with the culture shock. I'm not a crazy hedonistic party animal by any means, but I'm definitely used to being part of the majority on the "important" issues.

15. Oman4x4

Oman4x4 OT Supporter

It's actually not bad at all... culture? Just a couple simple rules to play by - keep the clothing sensible and don't get too stupid-drunk... All the bars are attached to hotels and it's a pretty classy setup. Drink driving is an absolute no-no. Drugs are also taken extremely seriously.

If you wanna get wasted and smoke up, Amsterdam's probably a better place to live.

If you like being outdoors and adrenalin is your drug of choice, it's a great part of the world.

Personally there's very few other places I want to be.

16. Oman4x4

Oman4x4 OT Supporter

No - jail followed by deportation :)

17. CJPA

CJPA New Member

Miata drift fest

18. Mitchj

Mitchj OT Supporter

whats D&D mean?

19. SinisterHand

SinisterHand Active Member

Dungeons and Dragons?

20. fixthe fernback

fixthe fernback New Member

drink and drive i bet

I am jealous of your car.

21. deusexaethera

They probably look down on fantasy roleplaying too, on account of the black magic and whatnot.

22. slfmade

slfmade New Member

badass miata bro

23. Oman4x4

Oman4x4 OT Supporter

Update: European spec Mazdaspeed Bodywork :) - gets rid of the ugly orange marker lights on the front corners. Modified it to include some Audi / Porsche style LED DRLs.

[​IMG]

24. ldaggerl

ldaggerl New Member

Sexy looking but still in 4x4 mode right now lol.

25. preearth

preearth New Member

Great photoshop.