My 2006 rx8

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by c0ldf1ame, Nov 23, 2009.

1. c0ldf1ame

c0ldf1ame New Member

so i was bored tonight and i decided to clean my car and take some photos, since i did add some new things to the car recently,

here is how the car looked about a year ago

[​IMG]

i haven't really done much this year because of the recession :dunno: and also because i was concentrating more on modding out my bike.

Thanks to influence from some friends and a couple of coworkers, I've started hitting the track more. Everyone knows rx8 resell is crap and i have a pretty high mileage already for an 06, so I've come to the decision that I'll run the car into the ground since its already all paid for, and while im at it, why not slowly build it into more of a dedicated canyon/track car

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

i've since removed all the cf (de-riced), as you can see my side skirts were hiding some damage to the underbody (battle scars), the new and improved plan is to build a pretty much stock engine car with a tuned suspension and functional aero and mod it as i go, find areas that i feel needs improvements and go from there.

So Recently thanks to a local club member i landed some really good deals on parts and decided to start out with chassis stiffening,

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

with the autoexe 6pt front and 4pt rear, and tc sportline underbrace, AND the autopower 4pt race bar, the chassis is probably as stiff as its ever going to be, unless i go crazy and decide to seam weld (probably never gonna happen). The suspension is forced to do a lot more work with less chassis flex, on turns its actually making the car roll more than before. Next up on the list of mods to do will most likely be coilovers with a higher spring rate. As of now the car is lowered on Tein S-techs paired with koni yellows, which i feel is too soft :wiggle:.

[​IMG]

the car is rolling on potenza re-01rs that i got from the tirerack sale a while back, after using all seasons for almost 2 years i can say that its a HUGE difference. Rims are Gramlight 57fs 18x8.5 45mm offset powder coated in timeattack colors. the rims weigh around 17lbs each if i remember correctly and there is a noticable difference switching between stock rims (4lbs per rim). I will eventually move up a size to 18x9.5 or maybe even downsize to some 17x9.5. Also on the list of upgrades are stock sized lightweight 2peice rotors. I've been pretty happy with the project Mu brake pads so far but will probably change back to using oem pads for street, and separate pads for track duty.

Also on the list for next year will be a set of bucket seats, front splitter and GT wing.

Thanks for looking!

i leave you with a picture of my favourite shift knob made by razo

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 25, 2009
  2. The1Ash10

The1Ash10 Active Member

3. DEPUTY11

DEPUTY11 New Member

bad ass

4. Trogdor151

Trogdor151 OT Supporter

5. ldaggerl

ldaggerl New Member

Looks amazing, I was just checking out RX8's and saw they came out with a new turbo kit that puts down 414RWHP. Pretty amazing from a small displacement. Put down like 300 torque too which isn't to bad.

6. c0ldf1ame

c0ldf1ame New Member

haha thanks, my friend has a turboed rx8, that thing is a beast

7. Mitchj

Mitchj OT Supporter

so now it makes about 250 horsepower?

8. c0ldf1ame

c0ldf1ame New Member

negative, im guessing around 180whp,:rofl: :hs:

quick update, my friend got these SPGs for his s2k, while hes waiting to get his rails in, im testing them out for a week since they came from a rx8 and already had the rails attached. i just did a 6hr drive from LA to San Jose, and the only uncomfortable thing is my leg cramped up. suprisingly my back is ok and in better shape than if i were to do the drive with stock seats. needless to say i will be sad to give them back, but will look into a set for myself in the future

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 26, 2009
  9. Mitchj

Mitchj OT Supporter

time for the turbo kit.

10. The1Ash10

The1Ash10 Active Member

even with the turbo kit, it only makes 210-220 hp. That motor will never all the car to be quick.

11. ldaggerl

ldaggerl New Member

Hope thats a joke....http://www.esmerilracing.com/RX-8_Turbo_Kit.html

I agree though time for a turbo kit to really pull the package together.

12. c0ldf1ame

c0ldf1ame New Member

haha, turbo kind of ruins the balance of the car, i will consider it once i get better laptimes, my buddies car cant WOT through turns on the track because the rear wheels will step out,

the esmeriel car is probably the highest powered renesis so far, the mazda maniac upgrade based on the greddy kit can also put out about 350whp and the engine will still run like a stock car. The reason why no one has a fast rx8 yet is because everyone is afraid of turning up the boost, we should see more soon.

13. Mitchj

Mitchj OT Supporter

210 rwhp with a turbo? :hsugh:

14. The1Ash10

The1Ash10 Active Member

try adding heavy boost with stock apex seals and the like. Trust me, those motors are absolute crap.

15. c0ldf1ame

c0ldf1ame New Member

you should tell that to my friend whos been over 350whp for 2 years with no problems.

the renesis has higher compression than the old 13bs, itll make more power with less boost, and apex seal technology has come a long way since the rx7s, its got the strongest factory seals yet.
    Most of the problems you hear about rx8s come from defective Oil metering pumps not giving the apex seals enough lubrication, pre-mixing helps, and theyve since revised the ecu settings to inject more oil, and the 09s and up have a completely revised design

16. forgotmyname

forgotmyname Active Member

I like it.

17. TimzSI

TimzSI The man you hate to love.

If you decide to sell your seats I am very interested. I have a phantom blue 07. I'll post some pics if its not thread jacking..

18. Jumpy

Jumpy New Member

Very cool strut brace.

It reminds me of the days

of orthodontists.

:)

19. Bugalu

Bugalu OT Supporter

:ugh:

20. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

Is your first pic HDR? Looks really cool, I want someone to shoot my car like that.

The car is looking great. I like that you're beefing up the chassis and suspension and leaving the motor alone. I wish more people modded this way. That is the plan for my MR2, if I can ever get some money lol.

21. c0ldf1ame

c0ldf1ame New Member

nice haiku :rofl:

22. Lucifer

Lucifer New Member

23. Fotenks

Fotenks New Member

suddenly a haiku

24. Rampage

Rampage OT Supporter

ricer. lol.

25. c0ldf1ame