WEB My 1st Drupal site :REASONTOVOTE.COM: - Questions for teh experts...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Mikenotmike, Oct 15, 2008.

1. Mikenotmike

Mikenotmike

I wanted to go ahead and learn drupal, and I designed this site concept months ago, so even though the election is around the corner I felt like using it as my training grounds to become an official drupuler..

http://www.reasontovote.com

But I've hit some road blocks.. I can finish the bottom portion of the front page, probably have it done in the next couple days.

But on the node view (http://www.reasontovote.com/node/32) I can't figure out how to create that upper right region so it dynamically filters the videos based on the taxonomy candidate & issue of the current node being displayed... Views2 (drupal 6.4 btw) does allow url arguments to pass to blocks, as the front page views automatically filter based on the taxonomy you're on (eg. www.reasontovote.com/War), but I think having it pull the taxonomy information out of the nodeid is going to require some special php snippet, or maybe a fully custom sql querey.. I don't know.. I'm lost on this one.. any ideas?

2. Mikenotmike

Mikenotmike

Last night in IRC i talked with the creator of views2, he had no advice, but he's a pretty busy guy...

3. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

That's a pretty badass Drupal site. Yeah, you'll probably have to write a custom module to do it. Couldn't help you with it without spending a significant amount of time playing with it though. :o

Good job on the site.

4. Mikenotmike

Mikenotmike

Thank you, I consider you one of the resident experts by far, so that means a lot.

I'm screwing with the votingapi right now to try and figure out how to assign a rank value to the node.. for the front page/issues pages I think I can get away with rendering the current page value twice off the ajax mini pager and relative: position it to the Rank space ( I still need to theme it anyways ). But for the node view again I think it will be completely custom since it has to detect the rank based on the nodeid...

Any suggestions for learning how to write custom sql queries and embedding them in drupal?
    EDIT: I guess I need to create an actual module like you mentioned above... this should be interesting

If you're capable of doing it for a fee, PM me your rate, it's out of pocket for me but I'd like to finish this site and I'm afraid I dont have time to learn how to do these snippets from scratch..

Last edited: Oct 15, 2008
  5. DnA02

DnA02 Hey, how YOU doin?! OT Supporter

cant help you but just chiming to say that is one nice website. simple and easy to use. really digging it (acutally dugg it too)

EDIT:was gonna digg it after i typed my message but seems its just a pic lol

6. Mikenotmike

Mikenotmike

yeah that whole bottom portion is still an image, I have most of it built, still hoping to roll that part out tonight if I get more time to work on it.

7. Mikenotmike

Mikenotmike

thank you btw

8. bawlinmo

bawlinmo Neighborhood Graphic Designer

great stuff. don't forget to make a custom favicon, the drupal icon makes the site look unfinished.

9. drpepper

drpepper Active Member

man i really need to learn how to use drupal. the site looks amazing.

10. pkr

pkr Guest

Really good job bro. I saw the original screenshot and like how you've transformed your mockup into a working prototype.