SRS my 17 year old son...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by kuzikan, Jun 2, 2005.

1. kuzikan

kuzikan New Member

ok so this is my first venture into this forum, not OT but r2r. anyway my wife found some text messages from my 17 year old son to my 19 year old daughter saying how bad he wanted to drink and that he bought a bottle from some kid at school. he is basically a good kid but has had a bad attitude for a while. many problems led to his attitude and that is for a different thread, my problem is should i send him to a recovery solution such as AA?? he didn't actually drink any of the stuff and has only tried alcohol once. i feel bad because he has enough problems with school and his attitude, i don't want him to get into any more trouble. thanks for you rhelp in advance.

2. nukegoat

nukegoat New Member

While experimenting with drinking may be a normal thing, excessive drinking is not. I was an alcoholic and an addict while still in high school. Forcing your son to go to AA is not good, but I wouldn't go so far as to say that its a BAD IDEA. I wish people wouldn't post in this forum who don't know about recovery...

As far as I can tell, you really don't have anything proof positive that your son has problems with alcohol. It may be a little early to address this, but depending on how your own moral convictions are, it may be necessary to talk to him and let him know that you're not going to condone any drinking, but you're certainly not going to want him to not be able to talk to you if he has a problem with being an alcoholic. Have you browsed the AA website? There is a lot of useful literature there. It might help you in understanding what alcoholics are about.

3. eligh

eligh Go To A Meeting

Whether or not he has a problem with drinking, you cannot force him to clean up. However, it sounds like he has very little experience, and it is difficult to tell if he will be a problem drinker or not. I was very curious to experiment with alcohol as a teenager, and I was showing obvious signs of alcoholism after drinking for a few months. However, normal teens experiment with alcohol as well. The best thing you could do is get educated on alcoholism, and know what to watch for. Being honest and open-minded towards your son will help future relations as well. You could go to an AA meeting yourself to find out what alcoholics are like.

4. kuzikan

kuzikan New Member

actually i have a lot of experience with AA and alcoholics. my father went to AA but later started drinking again and finally quit on his own some years later. Also my wife has been sober for 11 years this march. i have dealt with adult alcoholics all my life, the "ism" seems to run in my family, i have how ever never dealt with it as it pertains to a teen. That is why i was asking on here for simple adivse. As it turns out he purchased it, at what seems to be a forced sale from a teen at school and he has been drinking with some other family friends, but it has only been a couple of beers. He has an addictive personality, that is what really worried me. I guess i did jump the gun a bit and should have spoken to him first then posted, or not as it seems. thank you for your time in writing back to me.

5. nukegoat

nukegoat New Member

no problem. I also echo what eligh says. Abusive drinking is something you probably are in tune to recognize. Most parents are too quick to assume there's nothing wrong with their children as they are afraid to associate some "disability" with their perfect offspring. At any rate, abusive drinking is not 'normal' for a teen. Its not normal for anyone. Hope you have some luck with the situation. :)