My '04 'rolla S turns 60K v. somepics

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by eighteen_psi, Jun 6, 2006.

1. eighteen_psi

eighteen_psi Active Member

'04 Corolla S(low), Impulse Red
    Tein S-tech springs, Matrix XRS 17's, Yoko H4S 225/45/17's
    System is: Clarion 9675, PPI PC6600.2, Boston Pro 6.5, 2x Boston Pro 12.5LF, 2x Aura AST-2B

Nothing major done since the last set but it was a nice day out today so I took some pics. I cleaned up the power wiring for the stereo too so there's a couple pics of that too. A couple days dirty but I didn't have time to wash it again today. The black tape on the front is a temporary repair from the winter when a construction truck threw a cone at me on the freeway and cracked the front up a bit :sadwavey:

Enjoy guys :big grin:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

*For the photo-inclined, pics are taken with a Canon D30 and Sigma EX 28-70mm f/2.8 lens. Shot in RAW with custom white balance (on the good looking ones anyway). Unprocessed as of yet, I'll post the processed/corrected ones later if/when i get a chance.

2. Ry4n

Ry4n OG Lurker

Impressive system, how do you like the Boston Pro components?

3. eighteen_psi

They're a tough set to tune sometimes but I love them....a lot :bowdown:
    In brief, off the top of my head:

Pros:
    - Practically unlimited power handling...I've heard a set powered by a 2350 (350-400++ WPC) and they eat it up. And send eardrum destroying sound into the next county before showing a lick of distortion.
    - Strong midrange driver...doesn't go exceptionally low but the mids and upper midbass are as strong as any I've heard
    - The tweeter redefines how rock guitar should sound :drool: Sparkle and sizzle beyond compare.
    - One of the best passive crossovers in the business...but IMO it favors the tweeter too much. Which is why I think I'm gonna biamp soon instead of bridge.

Cons
    - They need power... I have them at a conservative 50WPC now and they need/can use more, especially for solid midbass. Worthless with head unit power.
    - Completely and totally unforgiving of shitty source material, shitty power or shitty setup - the tweets in particular will make you suffer.
    - Bright...but if set up properly, not harsh. They're not as smooth as, say, high end soft-domes.
    - Expensive...but probably one of the best bargains going on ebay if you can pick up a clean set used.

4. J-Passport

J-Passport OT Supporter

if youre going to post pics of the engine, atleast clean it

5. Kroze

Kroze Active Member

How do you mount the amplifer in the trunk like that? did you pay someone to do it? how much does it cost?

6. eighteen_psi

Entirely me in this case :naughty: - And that goes for everything you see (save that temporary pre-fab box...mine is about 1/4 built pending time to finish it).

Though I'm going to change it up. It cost me the ability to use any normal rear fill (though super-shallow stuff like illusions could still work)...don't care cause I couldn't care less. The components are good to the point its not needed up front and rear..well, couldn't care less.

Also cost me about $45 for the lexan sheet...a few bucks for some carriage bolts, washers, bushings, etc. and few hours to measure, cut, drill, fab, install, uninstall, mount the amp and reinstall.

Why's it changing? Well..I chose the lexan because i figured it'd be dead...which it is. However, despite being quite thick, it bows...visually unappealing :( That amp is a dense...and quite heavy, so eh....I could use thicker still, but that gets really expensive (another few % thicker more than doubles the cost), and it'll start to look really clunky. As is, I'd planned to bevel/round the edges and corners.

But I'm not going to...I'm gonna change it to aluminum or something. See...in the hot summer months something has happened I didn't plan for. As it gets hot, the shelf expands, softens, whatever..and all my careful work with bushings turns out to be worthless. It creeks and groans over bumps and such and pisses me off quite a lot. Aluminum won't do this. Aluminum will also give me better options as far as thickness (thinness really) and mounting a cooling solution (High-power class AB amps get warm, mkay :hs: ). Also, I plan to upgrade to a 6800/6800.2/Pro650 eventually (which is 1/2 again as long as that and twice as heavy). That lexan ain't gonna cut it.

The goal was (and is) an essentially zero-profile install, while using top end (or at least, really nice) gear. The ultimate plan for the subs is in the kick outs on either side of the trunk..squaring it off but taking really no usable space. And importantly giving me back my pass-through.

They're there for the benefit of those who asked last time...mostly who are interested in the stereo wiring and such. Otherwise, shut up :rolleyes:

Edit: OMG guyz check out my (stock) 1ZZ-FE powarhouse engine its soo rad.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2006
  7. mrtwo

mrtwo New Member

one of the cleanest corollas ive seen :bigthumb:

8. flytojungho

flytojungho ...

you lowered your corolla? OMG :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: .................................................[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. eighteen_psi

You're none too smart....are you :mamoru:

10. flytojungho

flytojungho ...

what? don't get mad because you drive a corolla:bowdown: :bowdown: let me take a guess.... it's an auto too right?

11. pagina

pagina OT Supporter

What do you drive?

I'm sure it serves his purpose very well...isn't that the point of a vehicle? Not everyone can afford or wishes to spend alot of money on a fast car.

Also, if you do have a fast car...corolla is a hell of a DD.

12. eighteen_psi

Its an auto. And a daily. And financed at zero percent, never ever needs work and turns 40mpg goin 80 with the AC set to icebox. Yeah...shitty daily. :ugh:

13. flytojungho

flytojungho ...

im sorry:hs: didn't want to sound mean but to me, corolla is straight up chicks car. hey, it's your car so do whatever makes you happy right? later

14. flytojungho

flytojungho ...

civic>corolla :naughty: btw, clean your engine bay

15. aSiAnRiCk

aSiAnRiCk New Member

looks good bro :wavey:

are you on 9thgen board? i'm on there
    i'm also the prez of CCC ;)

16. eighteen_psi

New civic perhaps..not a 2004.

yep..and :cool:

long since done :hs:

17. Small Block LSX

Small Block LSX BMW | N54 | LSX | Gun | PS3 | Parent | Night CREW

Um... why would you post a pic of a Corolla's engine bay? HAHA.