My '02 WRX engine died. Help.

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by verbal, Mar 7, 2007.

1. verbal

verbal Active Member

Long story short, it siezed and it's my fault. Doing an engine swap would be more cost effective than having mine rebuilt. So I'm looking around for engines.

I found a couple in the area (Detroit). One $4000 for with 86k miles and another for $2500 with 100k miles. They guy said he'd do the swap for roughly $1000 depending on the time and extra parts, but he's thinks it'll be less than that.

This is all completely new to me and I'm feeling pretty overwhelmed. Not sure how I should go about this. Help.

2. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

Isn't 86k miles a lot? How many miles were on yours?

3. verbal

verbal Active Member

4. LS1S13

LS1S13 New Member

Buy a Chilton's/Haynes manual and put it in yourself.

5. verbal

verbal Active Member

:rofl:

6. quadracer420

quadracer420 New Member

id have to say a engine swap in a large undertaking. if you cant take an engine apart and put it back together then i wouldent reccomend you try to do the swap yourself. whyd it seize up?

7. verbal

verbal Active Member

Yeah, no way in hell I'd attempt it myself.

I fucked up and it ran out of oil. I've been slacking on oil changes but keeping up on making sure the oil is topped off. But I fucked up I didn't check it recently. I would've expected the oil light to be on longer than it was before it died, so it might be only half my fault.

8. quadracer420

quadracer420 New Member

^^ lol, ive blew up a atv motor by nit making shure the oil drain plug was tight and went out on the race track. seized right up. :eek4:

9. Subie Driver

Subie Driver Eye see what you did there.

By the time the oil light comes on, it's pretty much too late. Next time, maybe add an oil pressure gauge. Anyways, a swap on your car should be a simple and straight-forward plug-and-play affair, since you'd be swapping in the same engine as is already in there. If you have a buddy who knows his way around cars, especially Subarus, you could do it yourselves in a day.

10. LS1S13

LS1S13 New Member

If you have the tools, it's very simple.

11. themadscientist

themadscientist New Member

A new shortblock is ~$1000 from the dealer. I would put the 2.5l short block in and have it tuned. Much better off boost throttle response with the tiny TD05 you should be able to get the boost to come on ~500rpm sooner than with the 2.0l.

TMS

12. Turbo240sx

Turbo240sx Still Spoolin'

Do you know what parts seized? Can you rebuild the shortblock, or pay someone to do it? It may be your most affordable option. It would have to be torn down to see which parts need to be replaced, but it may not be as messed up as you think. If you don't know how to do this, find a subie guy or mechanic that can and pay him do it for you. A swap is just going to end up costing way more money and headaches then simply rebuilding the motor.

13. Mr 20Valve

Mr 20Valve OT Supporter

drop in an SR20... all the cool kids are doing it.

14. quadracer420

quadracer420 New Member

probally melted piston(s) the the cylinder walls. Toased many bearings, got the crank,cam(s) way to hot or could be more/less.

15. verbal

verbal Active Member

Ok...sooo....I need a long block. And while I'm at it I figure I'll replace the turbo too.

I found an engine with 19k miles. Engine with internals, no accessories (IC, intake, etc) and turbo shippped: $3490. I spoke with a few WRX owners that have done a lot to their cars and they all say I'm getting a good deal.

Now my girlfriend's know it all brother that doesn't work on cars is telling me that I'm spending way too much, blah blah blah. I'm not listening to him cause he's full of shit about everything, but he's got me second guessing.

I found and STI short block for $1600, but I can't afford the upgrade and everything else I'd need.

Did I fuck up or what?

16. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Too late for this, but...

Didn't it occur to you that something was wrong if you had to keep topping off the oil in the first place?

17. verbal

verbal Active Member

The only thing that was wrong was me not keeping up with oil changes like I should have. I'm a lazy fuck, what can I say. :(

18. Eclipsed830

Eclipsed830 Active Member

Put a 4g63 in it

19. Jbrown

Jbrown OT Supporter

That sucks.