Mustang GT potential?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by 4bangin, Apr 23, 2004.

1. 4bangin

4bangin Ballet of Violence

How is the potential of a 2000 Mustang GT? I am in the market for a new car and my friend has a Roush Stage 2 GT that he will sell me pretty cheap. Due to the price, I am seriously considering it. I am new to mustangs, so I don't know much about them. How tough is it to get a GT to run say..low 11s? I would imagine they can't handle too much since it's just a SOHC, but then again I could be totally wrong. Thanks!

2. Solid Snake

Solid Snake Guest

They run low 14's out of the box (0-60 in 5.5) given that it's a 5spd. With minor mods they can run low 13's. Theres a few guys I know who post on www.modulardepot.com that have hit high 11's with just bolt-ons. They've got great potential if you know what you're doing.

3. 4bangin

Thanks :) I think he already said he has exhaust, intake, xpipe and headers. How much power can these motors handle with a stock block?

4. torchC5

torchC5 Guest

Personally, I think Roush Mustangs are highly overated and overpriced, but if your friend is willing to sell it to you for a steal then go for it. There are two ways to get a GT into the 11's (without playing with the internals). You can throw a supercharger and intercooler on it (include slicks), or stick a 100+ shot of nitrous and pray your motor lasts you longer then 10,000 miles. Remember, if you have money then the sky's the limit.

5. 4bangin

I agree with you. Originally I was looking into a C5 Corvette. I have about 25k to spend on a new car. Then my friend told me he would sell me his Roush for payoff. I expected it to be around 20 or something, but it was only 14k. It isnt a super great deal or anything, but IMO pretty fair for a Roush. Plus I have piece of mind knowing the cars history.

Thanks for the information!

6. Ryuhei

Ryuhei Oh gawd

If you buy the Roush it sounds like you'll have ALOT of money for mods. Sounds like a good idea.

7. Solid Snake

Solid Snake Guest

The 4.6 SOHC block is iron, so it can withstand quite a bit. Theres a guy who is pretty infamous around GA tracks and Mustang enthusiasts with an 800rwhp GT. He's running 800rwhp on the STOCK block.

Also, you don't need a power adder to run 11's. Like I said earlier, there are quite a few people running 11's on all motor. Also like I said, you just have to know what you're doing :big grin:

8. torchC5

torchC5 Guest

No problem:) . I had a 97 cobra before I got my vette. I love mustangs, but I love corvettes too. I always wanted to supercharge my cobra, but it just wasn't financially responsible at the time. I traded in my cobra for my 97 C5. I only have to pay a difference of 10 grand between the two. My brother has 2000GT and he doesn't know if it is worth modding or upgrading to a faster stock car. I guess it all comes down to what you personally like. Go to the local track and see what is running out there. That might give you a better idea on what some cars can do on certain mods.

:wavey:

9. SilverStang01

SilverStang01 A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upo

13.98 @ 99.85 is aroudn my best totally stock

10. Jimmyg41

Jimmyg41 Guest

Personally I think $14k is great for that car. Maybe it's because I live in California, but you'd be hard pressed to find a 99 and up GT (in good condition and low mileage) for that price around here. I say go for it!

11. AcidAngel_5.0

AcidAngel_5.0 Pure 0wnage

yea.. stangs have great potential.. im exspecting to run low 12's to high 11's NA when i can find me some damn slicks.. im trapping 108+ but having shitty 60' with 2.4 and still hitting 13.6's in the quarter

12. figment

figment New Member

the weak point of a 4.6 2v is the rods and pistons. they are good for about 450hp. dont worry about bolt-ons get a pro-charger,DR's and run 11's in a weekend

13. LocoStrange

LocoStrange New Member

Speaking of GTs.... what is "Traction-Lok Rear Axle" on 04s'? Is that similiar to TC? I want TC but I dont want ABS :(

14. figment

figment New Member

traction-lok is the limited slip diff. i dont know if the TC is avaliable with out ABS. when i went to buy mine i only seen them as a package.

15. Solid Snake

Solid Snake Guest

Traction lok just means that both rear wheels recieve power at all times. It basically a limited slip diff, not an open diff. GT's have had those for quite some time now.