Mustang Crew....Help!

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by FlameRedXJ, Nov 29, 2004.

1. FlameRedXJ

FlameRedXJ Professional Lurker!

I am looking for an older model mustang for a weekend toy/second driver. Looking for 87-93 style. I found an 87 coupe 5-spd for 3300 obo. Only mods are flows and mack H pipe. Gonna call about it tomarrow and find out miles and such. What all should I ask about it. What kind of problems should I look out for on these cars. I don't know much about them. Is the LX 5.0 the one that is the coupe, I don't like the hatch ones.

2. TireSmoke

TireSmoke New Member

biggest problems IMHO would be rust, excessive amounts of rubber caked to the rear fender well, ripped/bent/damaged control arm mounts, and transmission problems (especially if its a T5). These cars get USED....especially coupes cause they are light.

LX V8 could either be a hatch, vert, or coupe. Most likely its a hatch unless specifically written as coupe.

There are 4 main types of 87-93 Mustangs. Hatchbacks GT's, Hatchback LX's, Verts, and Coupes. Hatchback GT is a Hatchback LX with the skirts and fog light assemblies. LX's had the option of I4 or V8. Convertables came GT/LX, but obviously had the soft top. Coupes were basically the front end of a hatchback, with the back end of a vert. It has a trunk, more vertical rear window, with hatchback full framed doors.

I suggest you take a venture to http://www.badassmustangs.com/forums/ and post about the car before joining. We can give you a thumbs up/down and some more specific help :)

3. SilverStang01

SilverStang01 A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upo

hit up stangnet.com or corral.net

4. FlameRedXJ

FlameRedXJ Professional Lurker!

Would it be better to look at a 5-speed or an auto tranny one. Which ones tend to have more problems?

5. Los

Los Active Member

get an 89-92; primarily because of the Mass Air setup and forged internals. 87-88 (except for California Edition in 88) have Speed density and if you're going with some heavy mods, SD kinda sucks. 93 was the first year of the hyper-craptic pistons = teh lose.

Tranny-wise, the 5 speed is a whole lot better than the slush-box AOD.