Must read articles/ones to avoid? Reliable sites/full o' shite?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by RockDaBoat, Sep 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RockDaBoat

RockDaBoat New Member

Firstly, "the stickies" do no count. I've went through them years ago and every month or so since. :bowdown:

I was wondering if you guys could tell me which F&N sites you draw information from? Or, just as important, which ones should I avoid like the plague?

I read all kinds of sites and all kinds of articles, but I never really know if the sources are tried and true. Howabout bb.com, or t-nation? I don't really know because I'm still learning.

F&N has been my my one source (thanks to the stickes and new articles you guys post regularly) for a long time now. Though I'll venture onto other sites, t-nation mostly, it sounds good and reads well, but is what I'm reading sound information? The constant plugs for products and the assholes in the forums puts me off a little.

Also, if you guys have any unmissable articles about anything, could you post a link?

Thanks.

2. fatmoocow

fatmoocow bored OT Supporter

I occasionally get good stuff from t-nation I used to read flex back in the day. Eventually you should start to get a feel for what's total bullshit and what's not. Almost all sources are 50% bullshit.

When I was in HS I would read flex and you would see the bicep routine of the month, but even in those articles a lot of guys would talk about how when they started out all they did was compound olympic lifts and that's how they got huge. So you can find good stuff even in the bullshit.

There's a huge margin for error as well. Lots of guys do dumb shit and get huge. I think there's really only a little bit to know. Do squats/deadlifts/bench, eat a lot of protien, and keep your total calories dialed in. Not that complex.

3. RockDaBoat

RockDaBoat New Member

I 100% agree. I'm not new to the gym, or nutrition (though compared to a lot you guys I still am), but I'm dialling everything in a little more (thinking of nutrient timing a lot more, macros etc). I just think it's a good idea to get a good scope on what's going on out there!

When I think of sites to avoid I think of Mens Health in particular. Afterall how many ways are there to get a six pack in 4 weeks or exploding biceps in 6 weeks? To me, it caters towards those who want the Fight Club look, or the beach muscles or those who want to look like the front cover model, but don't do anything to make it happen.

4. grimstone

grimstone magic murda bag OT Supporter

5. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

T-Nation has some good articles

EliteFTS has some decent stuff

6. RockDaBoat

RockDaBoat New Member

Thanks for the links, grimstone. I'm reading through them now, or checking out the forums.

At least I was on track with t-nation!

7. woot

woot wo

The great thing about tnation is the sheer number of authors and articles available to you. I guess that's also the downside. Once you get a better feel for lifting and nutrition you can sort out what's bullshit and what's not. I read a lot of articles and absorb what's useful for me.

On that site I read a lot of articles written by Charles Poliquin - olympic level strength coach, Dr. John M. Berardi - for nutrition and Eric Cressey - for corrective exercise, rehab advice.

Biggest thing is not to get overwhelm by the sheer volume of info, absorb what helps you and disregard all the bullshit. But I would definitely try to read as many articles as possible.

8. grimstone

grimstone magic murda bag OT Supporter

t-nation sucks if you are just starting out cause you cant filter though all their bullshit to get the good info

9. Blade

Blade Time to swolercize

I usually read the logs and Q&A over at EliteFTS. If you ask them a question they are usually pretty quick about responding too.

10. fatcow

fatcow OT Supporter

11. Rojo Johnson

Rojo Johnson Active Member

12. grampositivecocci

grampositivecocci New Member

pubmed, research, draw your own conclusion.

13. Mass

Mass Active Member

best resource right here

14. BlackIce72

BlackIce72 New Member

:werd:

you might not know what to search for at first but pubmed is the best resource by far once you learn how to do an effective search

after all, most of the conclusions the good articles come to are from research that is on pubmed

15. ds888

ds888 Awesome.

i like tnation too, but not only do you have to filter through some BS, you also have to filter through the propoganda for their supplements. that being said, i like their supplements, even if they are a bit on the expensive side.

16. noogles

noogles OT Supporter

strengthcoach.com

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.