music player that shuffles well

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by integraMAHxC, May 26, 2006.

1. integraMAHxC

integraMAHxC New Member

i have ADD when it comes to what i want to listen to. basicly i have 6000 songs and every program i use to play them in a shuffle mode ie. itunes, winamp.. i find that i end up listenin 2 a lot of the same things everday. theres so many songs it never seems to play in a shuffle mode. anyone have any luck w/ other players doing a better job. its kinda a lame question, but i figured id throw it out there...

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I never found a shuffle mode I liked. What I prefer to use is the Predixis SoundMagic service that comes with a paid copy of WinAmp Pro. SoundMagic scans all the songs on your computer and figures out which songs are likely to go well together in a playlist. Then you can pick a song from your collection and tell SoundMagic to create a smart playlist for you. It works great; a little intelligence built into the system goes a long way.

3. bptillman

bptillman New Member

in winamp you can change the randomness of the shuffle to be more or less random than you want

4. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Yeah, but the normal WinAmp shuffle is only based on alphabetical order, IIRC. SoundMagic analyzes the sound of the beginning and end of every song (which takes a while, but you can run it overnight) and matches songs based on similar style. It's kind of the digital equivalent of a friend who says "dude, you should listen to this song if you like that one." Like I said, a little intelligence goes a long way.