Music is taking up too much space... (50 gig)

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by MUDFISH, Oct 9, 2006.

1. MUDFISH

MUDFISH New Member

I have over 50 Gig of music saved to my computer, and I am running out of space quick. If I transfer all my music to an external hard drive, will I still be able to run iTunes smoothly? It sucks because if I ever want to listen to music on the go I will need to have my external hard drive attached right???

Are there any other options? I just can't have that much music using all my hard drive...

2. omgwtfbbqryan

omgwtfbbqryan OT Supporter

i run my itunes music off an ext. drive, works fine

3. omgwtfbbqryan

omgwtfbbqryan OT Supporter

and yes, you would have to have it attached, thats where its stored :hs:

4. MUDFISH

MUDFISH New Member

Looks like I'll do that in the morning... maybe time to look for a small 80-100 gig external drive... any suggestions?

I have this one now...
    [​IMG]

5. colosodian

colosodian Next Gen

Keeping your music on an external drive works fine. I have all my music on an external drive attached to a mini, and I use my macbooks itunes to connect to the shared library, and it plays wirelessly through airtunes.

Make sure that your drive will be able to operate off your laptops bus wihout its own power adapter, and how that affects your battery life.

6. Queenpkn

Queenpkn New Member

I also primarily use a networked drive for iTunes.

7. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

I wish there was a way to keep my like 1000 most plays songs on my HD and all the rest on my external.

Why can't iTunes be smart? :wtc:

8. cftofu2k

cftofu2k OT Supporter

9. CarRamRod

CarRamRod The schnozzberries taste like schnozzberries.

Do feedback on iTunes. I'm pretty sure they read most of the issues that come in that way. Just make sure you are clear and concise on the description of the issue and possible solutions.

I made a suggestion that the .Mac sync should sync the read/unread states of RSS feeds in Safari and in the next 10.4 update it was in there :cool:

10. agent0068

agent0068 OT Supporter

well if you and not iTunes is organizing where your music is stored, you could do that yourself right now, albeit that would be a fairly manual process and probably result in a few mistakes

11. moses

moses OMGWTFBBQ

don't bother with a HD just to keep your music. get the biggets ipod you can get, and just keep all your music on there :dunno:

12. JCrev

JCrev Where is your god now? OT Supporter

You could use multiple itunes libraries to do this.

13. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

Unless you have more than 60GB.

And yea, I agree, it sucks having to store your music on an external drive. I've been thinking about getting a mini external hd like the ones lacie sells or something so it's easier to take the collection around with me.

14. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

explain?

i want it to automatically figure out my top most played (using the play count feature) 1000 or so songs and keep them on my local HD and then put the others on the external, and i want it to update itself every day. :noes:

15. JCrev

That doesnt sound like it would be too complicated. Ill try and write an applescript that does it.

16. JCrev

I wrote a couple of applescripts that can do this (even though its called top 1000, it will work with any playlist you want )
    http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=268CFA4A6124565A

Here are some step by step instructions on how to use them

1. Create a smart playlist in itunes of the songs you want to move. For example top 1000 played songs.

2. Open itunes to the playlist you made and run "top 1000 set up" This script will copy the files in your playlist to a temporary folder and then move your entire itunes music folder to your external harddrive (Depending on the size of your music collection this could take a long time.) After its done moving the music to your external drive it will move the music from the temporary folder back to your itunes music folder.

3. Now when your not connected to the external harddrive only the top 1000 songs will show up. But when you are connected to the external harddrive you need to hold alt while opening itunes and point it to the music folder on your external hard drive.

4. When you want update the top 1000 songs on your laptop run "top 1000 daily" When you are looking at the top 1000 songs playlist. (you can install this script into itunes by placing it in user/library/itunes allowing you to run it right from itunes.) You obviously need to have the external hard drive plugged in before you run this and it is set up not copy a file if it is already on the laptop.

I think that covers everything send me an email to francol at gmail if you have any question or comments

17. itwasntme

itwasntme New Member

I keep all my stuff on DVD's.

Hard copy > digital storage.

I can't listen to 50 gig at once, so I just shove a dvd in there and go. completely free HD.

18. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

Wow awesome Thats a lot of help. I'm going to mess with that this afternoon. I'll let u know how it works out. Thanks!