Music downloading...?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by dipper96, Jan 9, 2007.

1. dipper96

dipper96 New Member

Would anyone be kind enough to suggest a good site for music downloading, possibly one in which you are able to download entire albums at once...?

2. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

torrentspy, mininova - most of their content is illegal though.
    I think the content at bittorrent.com is legal, but I don't think they have a massive selection.

iTunes?

3. Sexual Vanilla

Sexual Vanilla New Member

4. 7960

7960 New Member

:bowrofl:

no

5. DaveyD

DaveyD Fuck Ohio State, son

omg :bowrofl:

6. samm

samm Next in Line

iTunes

7. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

Elegant.
    http://torrentfreak.com/bittorrent-inc-we-dont-index-illegal-torrents/
    Apparently they try to filter illegal content.
    [​IMG]
    Dan Glickman (MPAA) and Bram Cohen (BitTorrent) (well fuck him!)

I'm growing to expect everything I hear here about copyright law and the like to be told by uninformed ignorant dicks.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2007
  8. 7960

7960 New Member

"...and expects its users to do the same..."

I don't give a shit what they EXPECT. 90% of what's there is not legal. From the article YOU linked..... "but one little search query away is just about every popular movie, TV show, music album and computer game."

And I *already expect everything I hear about downloading comes from assholes who just want free music and don't give a shit about what's right or legal.

9. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

Good luck using the internet.

Ever heard of sharing?

10. 7960

7960 New Member

Good luck paying your fine.

Ever hear of copyright violation?

11. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

Yes, and I'm very aware of the law's sold-ness on it all (in most-all western countries especially).

Ah sure let's pull the first few copyright-related articles from gnu.org/philosophy/:
    E-books: freedom or copyright
    And misinterpreting copyright.

12. 7960

7960 New Member

yes of course you're right..... someone went to the trouble to produce, record, market, and sell the music but you can download it for "free" and there's nothing wrong with that :rolleyes:

13. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

Of course. There's no way in hell they should be able to prosecute me for downloading, or the person who shared with me.

Relying on people being greedy with their copy of your work would by right be an illegitimate means of making money, why wouldn't it?

Another age of enlightenment might be headed our way. With people like Lawrence Lessig, Richard Stallman and Eben Moglen working their asses off educating people (Lessig and Stallman for sure. I've only seen one impressive talk by Moglen (watch it!). And there are more, these are just the ones I've encountered and picked up), it isn't unforeseeable.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2007
  14. 7960

7960 New Member

Yes, they should...the exact same as if you built a house and I decided i wanted to live in it so went when you weren't there and moved your stuff out and moved mine in. Unless you're saying that would be ok, too.
    I've read this at least 5 times and can't figure out what you're trying to say.... "people being greedy with *their* copy of *my* work"?? Huh?

So you're equating an "age of enlightenment" with being able to dowload someone's music or program for free........... I can't imagine the amaount of intellectual dishonestly it takes to get from one to the other. Enlightenment, bullshit. Are you telling me Kant would say it's ok to steal music and software?

15. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

Rot-wrong.

I'm just gonna pull up Stallman's answer, which he must've said a couple of thousand times to people like you.
    From http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/why-free.html "Why software should not have owners":
    Ah don't get yourself driven over by wording (even if it hurts my argument, anything else would be damn long-winded). If you really don't get what I'm saying, bleh, let's just run through it.

A group of starving people get together to start a record company. They call it Universal Records. They find some bands, the bands sign their side of the work over under an agreement, and the work is the record company's. They sell it to Bill. Bill copies it for his friend, Dick, who thinks the band are pretty cool and the record company aren't bad (this is a provision for a future potential argument here ;)). Universal Records gets all upset because Bill helped his friend out in this way. They file a case against Bill, and maybe Dick too. Why should Bill or Dick be fine-able? I think this SHOULD be an illegitimate way to make money. The record company would need to take file sharing, as ETHICAL and rightly LEGAL as it is, into account for their business plan. Prosecuting people for sharing is rightly illegitimate.

It's called DIGITAL FREEDOM.
    I don't think Kant would agree with your terminology on "stealing music"... How can you steal music?

I've never studied Kant, actually, so I'm not so sure. But I don't hear the RIAA and MPAA quoting people from the age of enlightenment. Completely different story for Lessig, Stallman and Moglen. I'd bet that they're each experts on the age of enlightenment, but I've quite an advantage having listened to them.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2007
  16. 7960

7960 New Member

And I'll point out the part that's wrong, which I've done a few thousand times for people like you:
    But whether you run or change a program I wrote affects you directly and me only indirectly. Whether you give a copy to your friend affects you and your friend much more than it affects me. I shouldn't have the power to tell you not to do these things. No one should.
    As an author he certainly has the right to make that decision for himself. But since he didn't author MY work he doesn't get to make that decsion for ME. If I go to the trouble of writing a book why should you have the right to buy one copy, copy it, and hand it out for free? The answer is you don't.

The second part of his answer, the one that basically says "giving away software doesn't hurt me" is also wrong. Where is the incentive to create and innovate if anyone can steal it? Why should anyone share anything? His feeling that it doesn't affect him is also wrong. If I killed his wife I didn't affect him either. Sure he'd miss her but if you copy my book and distribute it for free I'd miss that, too.

I'm all for a revamp in copyright laws concerning length of copyright, but I"m not for getting rid of them entirely. Where is my incentive to spend a year writing a program if, on the day I finish, you can buy one copy and turn around and give it away. My year is wasted so guess what, I'm not doing it and I wouldn't be alone.

If I buy a CD and play it for my friend or even hand him the then I'm sharing. If I rip the songs and copy it and give him that copy then I'm stealing.

It's called copyright violation...... that's the intellectual property version of stealing.

By making a copy and distributing it. If it's not stealing becuase there's no direct damage to me then how about this... you're in bed so I enter your house and sleep there while you're in bed, then I get up and leave in the morning before you get up. Can I be prosecuted for that? You have no direct damage. By your argument I did nothing wrong and you have no recourse.

Even my 7 year old gets this.......

Did you pay for it? <no>
    Did the owner give it to you? <no>
    Do you have it and intend to keep it? <yes>
    Then you stole it.

I"m not in the RIAA or MPAA so I can't be sure, but I'd imagine they're not quoting people from the enlightenment because the enlightenment has absolutely no place in this discussion.

17. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

Duh. But I should, because sharing is good. If you restrict me from doing it, you're relying on greed to make money, which should be illegitimate (well, you still haven't told me why not).
    Copy, not steal.
    Isn't it a decent social act?
    How would you miss a NEW copy of your work coming to light? What the fuck..
    I didn't say I was either, although I might be. Prosecution for sharing, though, strikes me as completely fucking wrong.
    Lies. Your year's wasted if your sole aim was to make money and you can't do that without restricting people from sharing your work - by copying, and that should imo be an illegitimate means of making money.
    No it's not, it's copying.
    What? Stallman, Lessig, and Moglen are working to support copyright violation? Fuck you.
    Urr, that would be trespassing. What decent social act have you done in trespassing (IN ITSELF)?
    ROFL. Me being 16, I'm often told I'll cop on about all this stuff when I'm older. Then we refer to someone 7 years younger and give a Great Crap about what they have to say? Ah jaysus.
    Huh? So there's no such thing as copying? Then there wouldn't be any problems, and we could repeal quite an amount of copyright law...
    You asked.

18. 7960

7960 New Member

and you haven't told me why.... if I make something then I should get paid. Just because it's easy to copy doens't mean it's ok to copy.
    In this case they're the same.
    Shitting on someone's livelihood is a decent social act?
    Why would I be creating new work if there was no incentive.
    But it's not "sharing." That's the euphemism for it. If you were sharing your music then you'd be handing someone your copy of the CD. But you're not. You're keeping yours and giving him an exact duplicate.
    No, it shouldn't be. People think it's ok because it's easy. Sure it's easy to rip a song or an ISO and put in on limewire but it wasn't easy making the original product.
    No, you're wrong.
    Sorry to break the news to you but if they want to take the book I put a year's worth of research into and hand it out, yep they're working to support copyright violation and fuck them (and you :wiggle:)
    It didn't harm you at all. Why is trespassing an indecent social act?
    And as a former high school teacher it scares me but doesn't surprise me that a 7 year old understands stealing better than a 16 year old.
    There's a big difference between copying a page or two from my book and copying my book. There's a big difference between ripping 5 seconds from a song and ripping an entire song.
    You brought up the enlightenment as a defense for illegally copying and sharing software. Excellent :ugh2:

19. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

Because there is nothing wrong, but right, in itself, in copying. Therefore in itself it should never be illegal, more like encouraged.
    How is copying ever equal to stealing?
    Some livelihoods these days need shitting on. The artists behind 90% of the music sold are hardly starving are they? And as if they even get even a few percent of the profits.
    Because you like to? And there would be an incentive, there just just be slightly less because the rules of what's legitimate and not would have changed, and it would be illegitimate to prosecute people copying your work. I guess that obviously means bankruptcy :rolleyes: (when it does, so it should)
    Copying then. And sharing would be an euphemism in the same way stealing would be. I guess I shouldn't say sharing then, and I just mightn't anymore, but I can still see more of a case for using it than stealing, because the new copy (often), without euphemism, is shared (more like donated actually).
    What? You're obviously not getting me, if you're trying at all. I do not think it's ok because it's easy. I think it's ok because it is.. In itself, it is ok. It's closer to the positive end of the ethical scale and I see nothing to shift it in the other direction. Development costs for the original? Uhhh.. The author will just have to take user copying into account when writing up a business plan, as I've already said. Why? Because there's nothing wrong in itself with copying, therefore it will rightly be legal.
    I wouldn't mind if I said it's sharing. But it isn't stealing is what I said, and I'm right. It's copying. That's what it is. Disagree?
    The only problem is you haven't headed to Boston to publicly own the shit out of Stallman. Of course I know the reason you haven't done this isn't because you haven't spent as long as him thinking this stuff out, but because you're a very busy man and all. Yeah.

You could kill all this digital freedom bullshit. I know.
    MMMMaybe it isn't?
    BAHAHAHA. It scares me that a former hight school teacher can't understand the meaning of stealing. I see no mention of copying at http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery?s=steal&gwp=13 Odd That. (Even if it was mentioned, it would be a complete redefinition. There is just no comparing copying to taking property without right or permission)
    What's your point?
    No I didn't. Do you understand anything?
    Uhh, that's in defence of what? It's a simple possibility for the future, now excuse my French, but, Dumbass.

20. Sexual Vanilla

Sexual Vanilla New Member

lol @ thread hijack.

21. 7960

7960 New Member

Your entire argument comes down to "they're rich, they won't miss it" and "copying should be legal." Besides some nebulous "copying is a positive social blah blah" bullshit you haven't said why you feel copying is not wrong. Whatever the thing is (song, program, movie) it had enough value to you to take the time to download it. So obviously it has value to you. So why, exactly, is copying (stealing) ok?
    So anyone who makes a living writing software can expect to be unemployed? I mean, only one copy is actually going to be bought/sold and then what?
    And I say it's closer to the negative and and see nothing to shift it. You keep avoiding this question.................................................. if I write a piece of software and put it up for sale, exactly why do you think it would be ok to copy it and distribute it? You didn't think of it. You didn't write it. You research it. You didn't spend your time on any of it. If you read about it and think it's cool and want it you can buy it or write your own. So far your answer is "I should be able to "share" it just because. That's some nice sixteen eyar old logic right there. Why don't you follow it up with a few NYAH-NYAHs :rolleyes:

I love your euphemisms.......

copying is "sharing"
    violating copyright is a "socially decent act"
    illegal downloading is "digital freedom"

Fuck that..... "digital freedom" does not mean ability to download software and not pay for it.

So easy a 7 year old gets it

Did you pay for it? <no>
    Did the owner give it to you? <no>
    Do you have it and intend to keep it? <yes>
    Then you stole it.

The higher ethics of my 7 year old would disagree.
    You're wasting my time.

http://forums.offtopic.com/showpost.php?p=69938833&postcount=13

So I guess we're done? Your argument that illegal copying and downloading absolutely sucks so the best you can do is come back with shit like "don't you understand anything?" and "dumbass"?

Chances are you'll illegally download for a long time and not get caught. Don't delude yourself into thinking that makes it right. Like you said you've been told already, when you get older and have to work you may understand why it's wrong. But remember this conversation when you're working for a company and write a report/proposal/white paper and have it ready to submit and someone walks up to your desk and picks it up and turns to the boss and says "look what I did." By everything you've written here your only response *should* be "excellent use of sharing." I'm sure that'll comfort you in the unemployment line while that other person, the one who "shared" from you, keeps his job for producing the report while you were let go for slacking. Good luck.

22. 7960

7960 New Member

these threads piss me off

"It's ok, they're rich and won't miss it"
    "I thought all the music out there was ok to download"
    "I'm not buying a CD when I only want one song"
    "It's not stealing, it's sharing"
    "I only took it because I wouldn't have bought it so the author isn't losing any money"
    "Everyone should have access to everything"

They're all bullshit. Someone took the time, pay him. I'd respect someone more for downloading something if he said "I couldn't afford it so I downloaded it" or "I just didn't feel like paying" than if he tried to pass off one of those shitty excuses as the real reason.

23. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

This utter bullshit summary demonstrates your sheer ignorance. And oh I DID say why I feel copying is not wrong - search the thread for "in itself", you ignorant prick.
    :rofl: Only one copy will ever be sold? :rofl:
    Wouldn't that be convenient for you to believe.

Ah I scanned your post, and I'm wasting your time. Good! "The higher ethics of a 7 year old" - higher than the understood definition? Right.

A final :fawk:, and goodbye.

24. 7960

7960 New Member

That summary is exactly on. Your argument for why copying should be legal ......
    Hell of an argument there :ugh2:.

Like I said, if this is the best argument you've got then I'll stoop to your level and yell "NUH-UH!" and bow out.

25. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

No it's not, your ignorance has completely tainted your interpretation of everything I've said it seems. It's nothing to do with some copyright holders making too much money, and it never was. I made a point about that, but my argument about why copying should be legal is much simpler.. Why it should be considered illegitimate to rely on people's greed for an income.
    Do you have a problem with it?

Continue spurting the same crap from post #16 which I addressed in 17, go on. "It's stealing just fucking pay for it", search the thread for the point I've made over and over containing the words "business plan".