SRS Music affecting mood?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Deadhead9150, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Deadhead9150

Deadhead9150 Banned

So, I've been in quite a funk lately and just been in this massive rut that I haven't been able to get out of. Normally I've been listening to depressing brooding music but after talking to one of the few people who are important to me, she's always super upbeat and perky and happy and she suggested that I stop listening to all the depressing garbage i've been listening to and start listening to stuff with a happier tune to it. So I started to and it feels like almost instantly I'm starting to feel better, happier, less brooding and emo, I dunno how to explain it. Is that normal or have I finally gone off the deep end?

2. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

No way, completely normal. There was a breakup a long time ago that I took really had. For a few weeks maybe even months I found myself listening to all music that reminded me of him as well as depressing music in general. One day I snapped out of it and started listening to really great uplifting music that had a meaning. Most of them were about moving on and I really started to feel confidence just fom the music. Keep it up!

If music is as important to you as it is to me it really does have the power to set you free.

3. Deadhead9150

Deadhead9150 Banned

Music has always been really important to me and actually, thinking about it, I haven't listened to any Grateful Dead for months and they're my favorite band. I just started listening to them again tonight after she suggested I listen to music that doesn't make me feel sad and it really has been working. I'm going to listen when I start working tomorrow hopefully it increased my productivity.:)

4. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

Depressive music makes you depressed, upbeat music makes you feel better, so its mostly techno for me.

5. Midgetized

Midgetized Don't mess with Douche Cat

Music definitely effects your mood. I hardly ever listen to slow or sad music because it just makes me sad and that's not any fun. Music should bring you happiness, not sadness.

Now if only we could wipe out all the emo bands in the world, then we wouldn't have to deal with the depressed emo kids :mamoru:

6. Scootin

Scootin OT Supporter

This is almost the exact research study I'm creating right now. :o

Music absolutely can affect mood, anxiety, stress, etc - and as a result, can assuage certain conditions like insomnia, PTSD, and so on.

7. XPX

XPX New Member

And she is right, while we all need a bit of depressive music when we are down to let the feelings flow but you shouldn't stay there too long....too long and you'll fall too low. I see it both ways, sometimes the music I listen to really reflects how I feel, people can see it...and sometimes I change the music I listen to get out of those sad thoughts...music can help you both ways.

8. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

For me nothing reinforces depression like sad music. I copied selected songs from my music collection to my laptop and ended up with only 1gb of trance, techno, and stuff like that. No sad songs :rofl:

9. Mideel25

Mideel25 OT Supporter

I listen to depressing stuff more than I should. It definitely affects me if I am really down.

but...

nothing can snap me out of it like a little Kickstart my Heart :rofl:

10. runawaycamel

runawaycamel New Member

I just learned about all of this in depth a week or so ago (music therapy major)!

11. Scootin

Scootin OT Supporter

Well maybe you can help me out a bit - know anything about PTSD and music?

12. Thelonius

Thelonius New Member

Huge, huge effect. Music gets at something primal..as a species we've been singing longer than we've been talking. It's one of the oldest ways that we communicated and related to one another. Singing, playing my guitar/piano or listening to stuff like The Beatles never fails to make me feel better.