COMIC Mushi-Shi and Shintoism

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by AkaiOokami, Aug 11, 2007.

1. AkaiOokami

AkaiOokami Hero of the Hounds

[​IMG]

Earlier this year I began watching the show known and Mushi-Shi, and I instantly became captivated with the content, soundtrack, and Seiyuu (Japanese term for voice actors). What really interested me however was the underlying spiritualism intertwind with ancient medicine.

I'm not exactly sure how much press this show has received on this site because I'm new, but I think I'd like your help to perhaps look at it a little closer.

Here is a small blurb I snagged from AniDB.net:

"They are neither plants nor animals. They differ from other forms of life such as the micro-organisms and the fungi. Instead they resemble the primeval body of life and are generally known as "Mushi". Their existence and appearance are unknown to many and only a limited number of humans are aware of them. Ginko is a "Mushi-shi" who travels around to investigate and find out more about the "Mushi". In the process, he also lends a helping hand to people who face problems with supernatural occurances which may be related to the "Mushi".
    [Source: Animenfo]"

My point for bringing this series to the light is the overt "Japanese-ness" of the series and while it uses the guise of science to describe these spiritual organisms, I still find there to be a great sense of shinto atmosphere lurking about. Mainly I find it in the reverence for the departed, but also in the sense of another world coexisting quietly, and unknowingly to the rest of humankind.

Another interesting aspect is how the lead character, Ginko, smokes constantly. Smoke and fire is often used throughout many world religions against super natural forces to cleanse and purify.

What hard evidence has other viewers found to be direct links to religion?

What undertones have you all noticed and what aspects have you enjoyed/disagreed with?

I think this is a wonderful series that has much insight into the human condition. I feel that a great many of you could really enjoy and benefit from the down to earth, wholesome nature of this show I have grown to love.

2. Soymilk

Soymilk New Member

woah there, a serious discussion? you must not know how things work around here.

although i'd probably take the time to make a real response when im bored, i haven't watched this, so i cant.

3. AkaiOokami

bwa hahahahahahah!

I've noticed, but I think there are some serious people on here so you can't blame a guy fo'tryin.

Do you need the series seeded or uploaded so you can peep it?

4. JP

JP Active Member

I have seen so many good this posted about this show all over the place, i should really watch it. :o

5. Soymilk

Soymilk New Member

no, thanks for offering though. i have more than enough stuff to watch until school starts (two weeks), and then i'll be able to get it off of people over the school network. like 80% of my anime i got from school, theres a couple ppl with like a terabyte of anime :eek3:

6. AkaiOokami

It's probably been the best way for me to unwind, and free up the bad joo-joo in my mind so far this year.

Come oooooon!

You really gotta check it out.

7. 触手強姦姫 ap13

触手強姦姫 ap13 ………Anime Crew For Life!……… ……………………O Wait………………… …

i liked the show, but i am not into jap culture so i really can't pick apart all the important parts aparent in the anime.

8. Grifter

Grifter Silver Member

i dont think i know enough about shinto to make any correlation

9. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

Well Mushi means a state of empty mindness. In spirituality this state of empty mindness is needed in order release the soul from the body so they can travel to the unseen spiritual astral world ,where flows from rivers of life actually do exist. Some sensetive people are able to see this spiritual world and the life that it inhabits,and its unseen influence on humanity. So i really think that its a copy of this spiritual life that can be seen as a manifistation of the mushi. Exept that it is applied to a parasetic half plant half animal life that just like any other creature in nature extracts energy from its surroundings ,wether it be plant,animal,human or natural phenomenons.

I enjoyed watching it.

10. xinster

xinster New Member

11. AkaiOokami

Now, did you mean in terms of Japanese translation, Mushi means "empty mindedness"?

At the same time it means bug or insect (in the real life aspect), and I wonder if the chose the same word because insects are such instinctual creatures, and to the Japanese, this almost "zen" (which is Buddhist and not Shinto) like state of mind would be very honorable that they would serve the social order of their species and die for the cause of the whole...

hrrrm...

I like your opinion of this too. That even creatures like the mushi from the show, we need to feed off of our surroundings in order to survive, and we are no better or worse than anything else!

12. AkaiOokami

Oh, thank you.

I'm sure you were looking for an easier discussion at the [SIZE=-1]www.themorganproject.org

"[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Support children with special needs Donations help w/ resources & care"[/SIZE]