Musclecar People

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by AggieZR2, Dec 21, 2003.

1. AggieZR2

AggieZR2 Now AggieZQ8

I need some suggestions. My father and I have been rebuilding a '57 Chevy stepside pickup for a yer or so now. We have put a Ramjet 350 crate motor in it and have the headers installed. Exhaust will be put on soon. But, I'm not real familiar with good manufacturers for this type of motor. I know the ramjet does have a noticeable lope to it, so it needs to be loud enough to know its there, but not so loud that you can't stand driving it around. Any suggestions?

2. interstate

interstate New Member

My friend has a Ramjet in his 82 Camaro. It's mpt extremely loud, but its not quiet either. Its a pretty fast car as well. I think its mostly what you do for exhast. If you run a full system with dual chamber mufflers its not going to be as loud as a more open setup..

3. AggieZR2

AggieZR2 Now AggieZQ8

I'm more looking for muffler brands to go with. Is there a certain brand that yall would suggest that sounds good on this sort of setup?

It will be a catless, dual muffler setup if that helps any.

4. Serialpimp

Serialpimp Guest

get some flowmaster 2 chamber 50 series mufflers and you will be happy, two 2.5 inch dumped or some 3 inch ones,

My mom has the 330 hp GM 350 with the Vortech heads, its very similiar

5. Wolf

Wolf No one plans to take the path that brings you lowe

I like Borlas. They have a deeper sound than Flowmasters, and are less restrictive.

6. Serialpimp

Serialpimp Guest

and they are raspy as hell, and would be way too quiet with his set up and cost too much

7. Wolf

Wolf No one plans to take the path that brings you lowe

2 chamber flows on a built 350 will be LOUD. I had a single 3 chamber Flow on my Cherokee and it was obnoxiously loud. I've got dual Borlas on my Mustang now and they're great. Quiet at idle and low RPMs and loud at WOT.

8. AggieZR2

AggieZR2 Now AggieZQ8

That was my first thought, I'm glad someone else agrees. I had a 40 series on my truck and it was pretty loud. I think a 50 series on this engine would be perfect.

In response to borla, it is too expensive, and not all its cracked up to be.

9. Serialpimp

Serialpimp Guest

BORLA is overpriced and gay, and sounds like ass on most cars, especially mustangs

10. Viper 10

Viper 10 Guest

Not necessarily true and they are grossly overrated and overpriced. You also have to calculate that the Borlas are much heavier because they are stainless (which doesn't show up on dyno's).

Borla's on Vipers are almost worthless (IMO). Go with Flowmasters and pocket the difference in money. The 2-stage Flowmasters get real noisy for street use. If you truck is an occasional driver, then you can tolerate the noise. I run them on my Corvette and it really resonates into the passenger cabin.

I would think that your decision should be more concerned about fit, than performance. Make sure that the exhaust sytem that you buy will not hang too low, or tuck too close to the floor pan. You also want to make sure that it clears all of the major components without having to alter the exhaust (which defeats the performance).

JMO. Good luck.

Brad

11. you know me

you know me OT where the douchbags play

My advice stay away from the dronemasters.

12. CarlsV6

CarlsV6 Guest

IMHO, flowmasters are a good all around choice for the general modifier. 40/50 series flows are inexpensive and sound good except for the 2000 rpm drone. As for borla's, I just can't justify that price, and I really don't care for the sound that much.