Muscle Car Saftey

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by djshakes, Jan 20, 2004.

1. djshakes

djshakes Guest

I live in San Diego and want to buy a 1965 Chevelle. I was a little concerned about saftey. Has anyone had an experience? Am I pretty much dead if I get into an accident? I know the cars only have lap belts and no head rests. Could I swap out the seat and maybe put in modern day belts. I would keep the original parts obviously. I am a purist when it comes to originality, but I don't want to sacrifice my well-being for it.

2. matrix243

matrix243 Earn this. Earn it.

I'd swap out the belts for sure. They must have had high back seats for Chevelle in that era.

3. AcidAngel_5.0

AcidAngel_5.0 Pure 0wnage

um.... you will be fine.. your driving a boat compared to the shitty material made in todays car (fiberglass and other crap)

4. TriShield

TriShield Super Moderator® Super Moderator

If your primary concern is modern safety in an everyday car, you probably won't want to buy a fourty year old car.

It will not have highback seats with whiplash reducing headrests, it will not have body crumple zones to absorb impact forces, it will not have a cabin designed to maintain it's shape in a hard collision, it will not have air bags, stability control, or anti-lock brakes, it will not even have a shoulder belt for the front passengers.

If you don't care about it being stock, you can always install a lap and shoulder belt combo, and that's about it.

5. Demon Of Dreams

Demon Of Dreams Feed me with lies and hate, and from that, I will

I don't think he can safely mount any type of shoulder belt into that car at all... they have no real structural support, the body is just sheet metal over folded sheetmetal pillars and bolted to the frame...

only way I'd do it is toss the stock seats, get a pair of racing buckets, and put in a roll cage and do a pair of 4 point harnesses from the cage (welded in, and stitched to the body would be my preference... but thats just me :o )

otherwise there is no real way he can install something and have it actually be effective in saving his life...

there really isn't much to those cars when it comes down to it.

6. Wolf

Wolf No one plans to take the path that brings you lowe

My first car, 1974 Plymouth Scamp. This was 30mph into the back of a stopped Dodge Ram. Neither me nor my friend were wearing seatbelts. Was able to start the car and drive to the shoulder. (couldn't go further, radiator/fan/water pump were crunched together).

[​IMG]

7. Wolf

Older cars are easier to rebuild too. :hs:

[​IMG]

(Dad wouldn't let me drive it like this :rant2: I thought it looked cool without fenders)

Last edited: Jan 21, 2004
  8. Wolf

After some primer & hood pins:
    [​IMG]