Muscle Burn at High Heart Rates

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by seanjohn, Feb 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. seanjohn

seanjohn i like to lurk, so DIAF OT Supporter

do exercises that elevate your heart rate (ie. cardio) burn muscle?

i was talking to a friend about doing a 10K run in 2 months and he told me that exercises that raise your heart rate over something around 140 begin to burn muscle as energy.

im not a complete noob when it comes to health but i realize that most users of F&N would know a lot more about these things than i would and this is the first time ive heard of burning muscle as energy (that is in terms of working out and not as a survival mechanism against starvation.)

i did a cursory search on google and most signs point to no but if anyone would know, it would be F&N users.

so what do you guys think? is my friend just misinformed?

2. MP18

MP18 New Member

just coming from a logical standpoint, it doesnt make sense that any certain heart rate would trigger muscle burning compared to fat burning...muscle yields less energy when catabolized because it requires more energy to break down, fat requires less which is why you are going to burn fat as an stored energy more likely than muscle, i dont see how something as simple as an increased heart rate can magically cause muscle to be catabolized for raw energy at a lower activation level, it doesnt make sense

also, the people that train at the highest heart rates are sprinters, although not for prolonged periods of time, 400, 200, 100m runners are anaerobic runners whose heart rates are extremely elevated in their events, and in their training as well, and they are the most muscular of all the track and field athletes

i think that elevated heart rates increase your aerobic endurance and burns more calories due to the increased energy required to sustain that heart rate, but im pretty sure that this energy comes from fat storage and glucose, not from burning muscle...however, if you are running these heart rates frequently and for long periods of time and without the proper caloric intake, then you are definitely going to see muscle loss

this is the way i see it anyway

3. black jesus

black jesus OT Supporter

this has never been posted before.

4. seanjohn

seanjohn i like to lurk, so DIAF OT Supporter

^^^ no wonder i havent seen it.

5. ccrooks

ccrooks New Member

6. Drifter87

Drifter87 Yippi-kay-ay, Motherfucker

I thought when it came to running, you hit a "wall" and begin to burn muscle.
    You run X miles a day, but don't eat right, your body uses your muscle for energy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.