Multiple IRP Complete Requests

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by unrealii, May 10, 2003.

1. unrealii

unrealii professor of plant biology

I keep getting this error when trying to install XP on my friend's P4. He had an amd, his fan failed on him and the chip self destructed. I put the p4 system together last night. All intel components, he's using some cheap azz 300 watt "dear" case and powersupply. His HD is a 40 gig western Digital, and has a 10 gig fat32 partition which has all his data backed up and I tried installing XP on the 30 gig part. Multiple times through the setup, we get that error with the blue screen. I tried installing xp with ntfs and fat32. Still the same problem. I swapped out video cards and removed all other cards on the mobo, the setup lasted a bit longer, but still crashed. I tried switching the setting on the hd from dma 100 to 66 to see if anything happenes, didn't change anythign. I noticed the hd jumper is on the default setting. There is no other device connected on the hd IDE, so I"m wondering if the master setting will do anything.

I warned him that his power supply is junk. A year and a half ago, I bought a 350watt whisper emermax which fried 4 of my hd's. The hd's made a similar clunks, but randomly, and I never had the blue screen. Any suggestions?

***EDIT: the solution to this problem is underlined in my next post.***

Last edited: May 10, 2003
  2. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

at what stage in the install do you get the error?

3. JazzHound

JazzHound Guest

I'm curious to know how you concluded it was your PSU that fried your harddrives.

I have the same unit and equal number of drives at risk. 4 HDDs, 2 opticals, a video card that needs its own power line, etc.

4. unrealii

unrealii professor of plant biology

SLED, It would randomly fail. At first it started to fail when XP was copying the files with 28 minutes left. I stripped all the cards out of his comp last night and threw in a very old pci graphics card. The setup failed with 22 minutes. He tried at home later last night and it still failed.

I checked the jumpers on the hd and they were fine...it's been a while since I have messed with those so I forgot that the jumpers were correct.

Went to the store, picked up an Antec 350 psu, setup worked perfectly. Hd completely quiet, no interuptions, notta. Well actually, the stupid intel mobo software installed the usb driver patch before the usb driver and that screwed up the install so I had to format again :lol:

Jazz, it took me about 3 weeks to determine the ps was bad. It was complete hell. I had purchased 4 enermax units because 3 of my friends were building the exact same system as me and I was the techie among them. My comp was the only one which kept failing. I had the mobo, cpu swapped, still to no avail. Finally, I yanked out the psu and exchanged it for a new unit and I was good to go. I called up WD and they sent me 3 refub's in exchange for my bad hd's. It was pretty cool of them, I think the tech I was talking to knew it wasn't wd's fault, but they still took care of me. I guess I just ended up with a bad psu, shit happens :(

Last summer, my mobo just failed out of the blue. Asus sent me a new one. No problems since. I really dont know what caused it, and I was out of town for 3 weeks when it did fail, so I had very little chance of finding out what happened. Asus sent me a new mobo and I'm good to go now. I dont know if the first enermax had anythign to do with it, i did put the first exchanged board in before I had exchanged the psu 1.5 years ago.

I hope this is all understandable...I'm just happy I figured this shit out and not waste my entire weekend :big grin:

Last edited: May 10, 2003