Multiple ip's and a firewall v.whattodo

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by tumultuous tumor, Sep 14, 2004.

1. tumultuous tumor

tumultuous tumor Single and loooooooooooonely.

Ok, I have 5 ip's at my disposal. I want to setup a VPN and have a webserver as well on two separate computers. I have a firewall in front of the computers. Is there anyway to make the two computers grab a public IP each while still staying within my network?

2. ShapeShifterz

ShapeShifterz Longtime Lurker

It all depends on your firewall type. Best case scenario is that your firewall allows nat. Assign the NAT pool to be your 5 IPs, and then use a static translation for the vpn server and webserver so that their public IP address never changes.

3. SL1200MK4

SL1200MK4 New Member

Need more specifics on the router, as their capabilites varies.

Also, is the 5 public ips that you have static (I would certianly assume so)?

At last... exactly which machine do you want to VPN? I don't think you had want to have VPN on your webserver do you? It will be best to leave the server at a DMZ and provide only very limited access to it. (like a basic SSH maybe)?

4. tumultuous tumor

I have 5 static ip's through the ISP.

I have VPN running alone on a XP Pro workstation and the webserver is through the DMZ on the router. I've been able to forward port 1723 to the VPN server and that seems to work ok. I just want to be able to utilize the other 4 ip adresses that have been assigned. The only thing I can think of is to have the computers that i need to grab those public ip's in front of the firewall BUT I'm not sure if I can log onto the domain on those same servers.

Thanks for the responses.

5. Keyzs

Keyzs OT Supporter

Whats the make, model and software version?

6. tumultuous tumor

Just a shitty Netgear FVS328. It's pretty limited but I just wanted to get something cheap to install. I was thinking about using an XP Pro Workstation and use that as a firewall but I'm guessing that wouldn't be the greatest idea but it would be a low cost solution to get a bunch of features. Not sure yet though.

7. Keyzs

Keyzs OT Supporter