Multiple hdd question...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by matt, May 11, 2003.

1. matt

matt Active Member

I have a GA7DXR+ mobo with 4 IDE ports. I have 1 and 2 used for CD drives and 2 harddrives. IDE3 and 4 are RAID/ATA133 ports. I want to add a third hdd.

I connected the hdd to the IDE3 port and set those ports to act as ATA in the BIOS. During boot up the drive is recognized as in the D0 slot. D1, D2, and D3 are empty. Nothing else hooked up so nothing there.

The drive is recognized during boot up, but not at any other time. When I boot from my XP cd it isn't listed as a drive to format.

Also, when it boots up it finds new hardware; a raid controller. I haven't installed the software or drivers for it yet. Maybe I should find them and install it, but those ports aren't functioning as RAID so I don't know.

Does this sound about right as to what to do to get my stuff right? What should I do? Any hints?

I'll keep messing with it though.

2. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

WinXP doesn't have the drivers for the RAID chip. You need them on a floppy. During XP setup, press F6 when prompted, then insert the RAID drivers. Then it will be able to see the drives attached. Just because its not configured as RAID, doesn't mean Windows knows how to handle that chip.

3. matt

matt Active Member

The only problem was a slight mistake in the installation of the drivers.

Everything is fine now.