Multiple AP's to expand Wifi network?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by kellyclan, May 10, 2008.

1. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

I think I might be making this more complicated than it is but:

I have 5 AP's. Each AP has one laptop on a wired LAN connection with a static IP.

I want multiple Wifi laptops to be able to roam around between the 5 AP's with DHCP IPs and always find the wired LAN laptop.

Can I assign the wired laptop the same static IP on each of the AP's, and just have the AP's broadcast the same SSID but on different channels to allow the roaming laptops to connect? Or will I still get conflicts?

2. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

just for some clarification...

how big of an area are you trying to cover?
    do the coverage areas of the APs overlap?
    do these APs connect to the same wired network?
    are you trying to get all APs to be broadcasting the same subnet or are you configuring each to have its own network that connects up to a central wired network?
    are there 5 wired laptops? if so, can each of them see the other 4?

it sounds like you might be going with an overly complex solution. maybe if you describe the problem you are trying to solve it might either be easier to understand your solution or come up with alternate recommendations.

3. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

I realize it may be a somewhat uncommon problem. This is a field set up for large scale emergency incidents, so coverage area is variable, it may overlap at times, it may not. I'm trying to come up with a solution where it can overlap without creating conflicts, but overlapping coverage is not otherwise a consideration. Each AP connects to 1 wired laptop. That laptop then connects to the internet to disperse data as needed. Direct communication between the field laptops isn't critical at this point, but may be something I'd want to do in the future. Multiple other wifi connected laptops roam around in and between the wifi bubbles, sending data to the wired laptop. The wifi units look for their target via the IP address, so it needs to be static for the moment.

From my point of the view, the priority is 1) that the 5 wired laptops have a static IP of 192.168.1.99, so regardless which AP the wifi laptops pick up, they will always find their target IP. And 2) simplified connection profile setup so the end user does not need to constantly create new wireless profiles as they roam or as AP's come and go.

Thanks for helping out. :wavey:

Last edited: May 11, 2008
  4. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

you can set the order of your preferred networks. if you want to try to spread the load, put the preferred networks in different order on each system. if you want to maximize the chance that you'll end up on the same network, try putting them in the same order.

now, i think a wireless connection will hold onto its current connection as long as it is able. then, when it loses it, it can grab the highest priority network in the area.