Multi monitor Video card question

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by 1999TL, Apr 17, 2007.

1. 1999TL

1999TL New Member

Right now I have a Radeon ALL in wonder 9800 pro card. I paid about $400 for it back in the day(yikes!). Anyways, I'm not currently playing games so I'm not worried about that, but I do want to run multi monitors since I just got a new 24". My question is, would you opt to get a new AGP card, or go with a PCI card.

I was researching this, and I am leaning towards going with http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102696
    Just something cheap that should do the trick

I figured that if and when I build my new rig, the PCI could transfer if I ever run more than 2 monitors again( I used to run 3 17" CRT's, talk about space). Also, if I were to upgrade my AGP card, I would want it to have directx 10 so that I can run Vista, if I ever choose to. However, I read ATI will probably come out with theirs first in May because Nvidia has delayed theirs. I'm just trying to avoid having to possibly upgrade the agp card twice.

Thoughts?

2. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

If you don't need the TV tuner/video capture that the AIW offers, then I might go an AGP card and completely replace the AIW.
    Other wise that PCI card should work, hell it'll should even let your run 3 monitors instead of just 2.

I doubt there well be any DX10 AGP cards. And if/when you do upgrade just forget about AGP completely and move on to PCIE.

3. 1999TL

1999TL New Member

that's what I was thinking, I plan on building a new rig sometime this year. I just want to keep it cheap right now. Prolly just go with PCI.

4. 1999TL

1999TL New Member

I'm not using the features that AIW offers because to get the drivers for it on the website, you need the original CD, which I don't have. I think that's STUPID.

Anyways, I've gotten a tivo since then so not such a big deal.